Rough Driving at THR

racer32

As a fan, I am disappointed in the amount of rough driving that went on in the TSRS class.

I would think that those guys would realize that not only is it costly to race, but it's a ton of work. SO answer me this, why do they create more work for themselves by tearing up each other's cars? Seems odd to me.

Car 22 had a right rear flat, he should had won. What a bummer for him.

I was there this past saturday night and it was a (bummer) that the 22 car had a flat b/c he did have a fast car and could have won the race. There was a lot of bumping going on to take over second place, but i think that, that race was all car #22. But that's just my opinon. :D

From a fan's perspective, beatin' and bangin' is usually preferred over a "clean" race. The reason: a clean race usually doesn't have much passing, which is really boring. From what I can tell, THR is almost impossible to pass on until the car in front of you goes into the corner too fast and then you're able to duck inside of them and take the position. What fans don't seem to like (myself included) are the number of cautions that are brought out from the beatin' and bangin'. I realize it's expensive when your car gets torn up, but if the fans don't get good racing, then they won't always be around to pay $12 (much less the $18 it cost this week!), and then the purses will start shrinking.

its hard to pass at THR without getting your nose into somebody in the corner to get them a little loose, then pulling under them on the backstretch and out pulling them so you have the inside going into the turn.

The only way to stop Rough Driving is to have more Judgemnt call made by the officials, and we do not want to Start dicussing that topic again.

I see alot of Brake checking being done by the lead cars , and that makes it look like the car behind is beating , and banging on the car in front.

I hate to use this line out of DAys of Thunder , but Rubbing is racing.

I agree that at times it gets out of control, but you will always have some of that no matter how hard the track trys to clean up the racing . You will always have some one who does not follow the rules.

Race On!!!!!

VICTORY LANE

• 2 weeks later...

Matt,

You have the right to your opinion, but I'll respectfully disagree with you on the "favorites" issue. People continue to allege that, but I think it boils down to the fact that nobody likes being the object of a judgement call. There are a couple of drivers at the track who have relatives that work there. I've seen even those drivers receive the sharp end of a judgement call. I'm not saying that bad calls won't be made - as long as judgement calls must be made, there will be bad ones. The point I'm making is that I don't believe those bad calls are the result of favoritism.

Chase

Hello Chase,

I agree and disagree with you. Yeah I know everybody out there gets the sharp end of the stick, but lately its been given for the wrong reason. I guess all season long I have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time. All Im saying is at sas everybody goes to the back. That ends the battle of who to blame.

Anyway, I don't want to argue with you guys because I like Team 99. Good Luck Cary. This Year is your year.

Matt

Hey Matt,

If you remember last year you guys wanted all involved to go to the rear. So, Brian did that. And told you all that he would not change it back until next year (which is this year) even if you changed you minds. (Drivers voted on this) And what happened? Most everybody wanted to change it back within a few weeks and Brian told you guys no, he was sticking to what he had orginally said. "Next year". So that is what we did. The drivers voted for the judgement call. Granted some times the calls don't go the way the driver sees it. But, I do believe the officials on the track do a good job most of the time. There are even some drivers out there that just go to the back on there own because they know they did it. How many tracks do you see that at? We DO have a GREAT group of drivers.

And Matt, I do hope you will be back out there this weekend.

Hello Kathy,

yeah i know how the game is played. All i am trying to say is i have had the worst year yet at THR. Yes it is probaly the best paved track in TX. I know you have seen the car count lately, it sucks. I know of at least 30 cars that wont come to THR because of the calls, AND I AM NOT JOKING. I know everybody is going to get the blame every now and then, but THR needs to try something different. Anyways, hope you and Christine are doing ok. Oh Yeah No Money, No sponsors, No Racing. Maybe Next Year.

Matthew

At the risk of upsetting a bunch of front-runners, I suggest that THR (and TSRS) go to the "all involved" rule. You know the one I mean. If you're involved in bringing out a yellow or red, then you go to the back, no matter who is "at fault."

Front-runners usually oppose this rule for several reasons:

1) They hope to be viewed by the track management as somehow "more valuable" than the back-markers and thus

will get more favorable calls.

2) They know how to make it look like the other guy's fault simply because they have more experience or more car than the back-markers. I'm talking subtle stuff like brake-checking and lane-splitting here.

3) Their sponsor(s) may have some sort of additional sponsorship with the track. They figure (either correctly or incorrectly) that the track management will not want to upset a track sponsor so questionable calls will go in their favor.

4) They usually have worked very hard at forming positive relationships with track officials. It is much harder to rule against your "buddy" than someone you know less well or someone from out of the area.

There are probably more reasons why front-runners wouldn't want the "all-involved" rule, but these four are the ones that stick out in my mind. If you went with the "all involved" rule, these four points wouldn't be factors in the officials' minds.

We have discussed the several other good reasons why a track should go with the "all involved" rule in previous threads on the subject (such as making life much more clear-cut for race officials trying to fairly call a race), but I won't go list them all over again here.

Once again this is only my 2 cents, but I think you would see an overall increase in car count even if some of the front-runners would complain like crazy if you went to the "all involved" rule at THR (and TSRS).

Nick Holt

Anyone use instant replay to decide who goes to the back? Not sure if anyone does that, but would that be another good option? I know you would have to have someone video and blah blah blah, but I think it would be cool. Of course you woudn't need instant replay if you use the all involved rule. Rules are rules, racers get paid to drive/win and the officials hopefully get the same thing. I hope officials that don't use the all involved rule aren't afraid to make some calls. Just my 2 pennies.

Tim

I can see how some people might think that because a driver is going out of his way to be friendly to an official he might expect some "special favors". I am one of those guys that tries to be as courtious and friendly as possible to not only track officials, but other drivers as well. I dont do this expecting any favors or special attention. I do it mostly because I am at the race track to have fun, and it is alot easier to have fun when you are not pissed off or arguing with other people. Maybe there is a small part of me that doesnt want the guy racing next to me or the official that is about to make a call on whether or not I go to the back to think Im a jackass, but I would never expect any official to make a call to send someone else to the back for something I had caused.

Archived