Should there be different classes ran @THR?

jcleaver17

You leave this topic wide open, whats on your mind? I think you have a good variety now. Work needs to be done to build up the car count in all the existing classes. The cars are out there. The pure stocks have put on some exciting battles with the few cars they have. I could only imagine what it would be like with 10 or more cars. The hobbys put on a good show as well. They need a few more hard chargers to come back. I talked to Chancellor Monday and he should be back in a couple of weeks. Street stocks are a strong class. Late Models at THR need help. Pure and Late models are the classes that are struggling.

Anybody know what is the best gear to run at THR for the pure stock class. I believe the 1982 LTD came with 3.55 as its highest gear ratio option. I am going to try and get the car out to the track asap, so the 302 will have to stay this season; with a 351 in mind for the future. :unsure:

Please tell me.

At what LEVEL is ford more cost effective, dollar for dollar produces more torque or horspower?

Can't do a whole lot of part swapping either can you?

Can't put a 351W crank in a 351C engine can you?

How about using 302 heads on a . . . what - 360? 351? noooooo . . . how about a 302? Maybe

All the way with Chevrolet!!! :P

If you start out with nothin and all you have are Ford parts to begin with in the long run it doesn't get any more exspensive. Sure it may be just a little more time consuming to find the Ford parts but in the long run not more trouble.

Of course you can't use a 351w crank in a 351c, 351m or 400. The 351c, 351m, and 400 are alls the same engine and are considered big blocks (FE series engines). The 351w is a small block and so is the 302 some parts are swappable between the two. The 302 has many parts to choose from these days: even stock parts such as the 98 explorer 302 that came stock with GT40p heads. Just a little info. I am sure that Chevrolet is probably less expensive; for one, everyone out at the track is running them so if you need a part maybe someone will help you that night. For pure stock I was thinking that you can't do much with the engines or really anything thus making all this performance expense nullified.

If you find a cheap Ford, then go with a Ford. If you find a cheap Chevy, then go with a Chevy. It sounds like TA knows a little something about Ford's engines, so I'm sure he'll be ok. Besides, you know how brand-loyal racing fans are. If you're a die-hard Ford Racing fan sitting at THR on a Saturday night, and you don't really have a favorite driver in a class, then you're going to be more inclined to cheer for the LTD than the Caprice. It stands to reason that TA could have quite a few fans within the first few races he runs.

Just my $.02....

I know at the upper end of the spectrum aftermarket products are way more abundant for the GM race cars. At the entry level, there are not supposed to be very many mods you can perform or add so it should not cost too much more to go with a Ford or a Dodge vehicle. If the rules are made in favor of the GM cars then perhaps the rules should state that only GM cars can run, not any american made car.

Anyway if it is really going to be a bigger expense in pure stock running a ford let me know now. The car was really cheap and we can get out of it now before we start gutting it.

When I say let me know now, I mean what is going to cost more and why? Is it brakes? gears? engines? engine mods? trannys?

What is the cost to build a GM 350cid for this class?

With the restrictions in place it seems it would a basic rebuilt engine.

Are there hidden costs?

Go for the Ford at least you will have more people to root for you,it gets boring watching a all caprice class or all camaro class,get something different and learn it and work with it,there has been a few Fords in hobby stock that ran pretty good.

TA

if you don't want to run the ford anymore I'll buy it from you. I've alway wanted to run Fords. Forget about the engine problems, because it's all stock. The hardest part about running a Fords is finding one to run. The LTD or Crown Vic is the best because of the full frame, no uni-body. Let me know what you want to do.

TA-

You are right. It will be cheap enough for the ltd. Go for it. Just build it. We do need diversity on makes in order to get the fans more involved maybe. I just wanted to get Jason stirred up. :D

Jason, don't you think they will maybe call it the Nextel Handset or Nextel chirp instead of "cup"?

Good one Zoom! In the old days there was this joke: Question - What time is it when a Ford passes a Ford? Answer - Tin past Tin. *groan*

Actually, if you can find a full-size 1965 Ford in a salvage yard, buy it. The '65 front suspension is basically a racing suspension. Believe it or not, all NASCAR Nextel Cup (I'll never get used to this) cars are still based on the '65 Ford front suspension geometry.

And, as you probably know, the rear suspension of NASCAR Nextel Cup cars is based on the old full-size Chevy pickup.

Nick Holt

I would not race anything except a Ford. I am going to build this LTD and hope it will run with the pack by the middle of next summer. I am also in the middle of building a road racing stang (1988 GT). The road racer is for me and the LTD is for a buddy who wants haul ass and turn left. :D

I am busy!

Archived