Sergio Hexsel wins TPS race

Sergio Hexsel wins TPS race at San Antonio Speedway

San Antonio, Texas, August 20

By: Neil Upchurch, Texas Pro Sedans – Race Director

Sergio Hexsel of San Antonio won the Texas Pro Sedans final 2005 season race at San Antonio Speedway. His win was worth $545 and his second trip to the victory circle during the 2005 TPS racing campaign.

HEXSEL’ s margin of victory in his VW Rabbit was 0.38 seconds at the finish line ahead of the defending TPS Champion Bill LaBarge of Bryan, Texas who led from laps 2 thru 22. He finished in second place in his BMW. Jack Dishman using a smaller displacement engine, which qualified him for a 306 pound lighter weight for his Ford Mustang led lap one, but fell back to a six place finish. In post race inspection, his car was penalized to seventh for a weight infraction.

In a pre-race ceremony, the race at was dedicated to the memory of Greg Wood, a former Texas Pro Sedans and San Antonio Speedway driver. He lost his life early Wednesday morning (Aug 17) on the streets of San Antonio when he was hit by a vehicle. Texas Pro Sedans and San Antonio Speedway drivers, crews and officials held the race with heavy hearts as more than 200 stood at the finish line for the August 20th pre-race memorial.

With the win, Sergio Hexsel appropriates the TPS points lead. He has a scant two marker lead over Donnie Moore, who had held the top of the points list for the last three races. Both lead six time champion Bill LaBarge who trails Moore by only three points.

The race was slowed by three yellow flag caution periods. The most serious incident came on lap one when Bryce Dishman’s tried to fit his #1 Mustang between the front straight wall and the #19 Honda driven by Lloyd Hart. There wasn’t enough room and the #1 Mustang became airborne, scrapped the wall from the finish line and finally came to rest against the turn one wall. He was not hurt. His car will require extensive repairs. Hart’s Honda was able to continue the race and finished eighth.

The third place finishing position went to Kingsland, Texas driver, Tom Johnson in his VW Rabbit. Johnson moves into a six point lead over Lloyd Hart in the Texas Pro Sedans “Rookie of the Year” point standings chase. Eddie Orr of Weatherford, Texas turned in a good performance finishing fourth in his Ford T Bird. TPS Charter member Mike Knotts of Universal City, Texas came home in fifth place in his familiar #48 VW Scirocco. Another rookie driver, Joshua Tuttle of San Antonio turned in his best finish yet as he raced his Chevrolet Cobalt into a sixth place finish.

With this second of two races, the San Antonio based Texas Pro Sedans touring series completes their last race of this season at San Antonio Speedway since the TPS schedule currently lists no remaining visits to the half mile track during the 2005 racing season.

The next Texas Pro Sedans race will be at Thunder Hill Raceway on Saturday night, August 27.

OFFICIAL RESULTS

Certified by Neil Upchurch - Race & Administrative Director

San Antonio Speedway - Race # 8 - August 20, 2005

Finish Car # Driver/Hometown Car Type/Engine CC Started/Laps

1 20 Sergio Hexsel/San Antonio, TX VW Rabbit/2042 3 25

2 27 Bill Labarge/Bryan, TX BMW/2085 2 25

3 15 r Tom Johnson/Kingsland VW Rabbit/1825 7 25

4 O1 r Eddie Orr/Weatherford, TX Ford T Bird/2030 11 25

5 48 Mike Knotts/Universal City, TX VW Scirocco/1825 5 25

6 14 r Joshua Tuttle/San Antonio, TX Chevrolet Cobalt/2000 15 25

7 2 Jack Dishman/Devine, TX Ford Mustang/2060 1 25

8 19 r Lloyd Hart/San Antonio Honda CRX/1834/4Valve 6 24

9 70 Donnie Moore/ Hutto, TX VW Scirocco/1710 4 24

10 72 Candi Hogan/Cedar Park, TX VW Sedan/2060 9 23

11 71 Bruce Mabrito/San Antonio, TX VW Scirocco/1648 13 20

12 22 r Harry Osburn Jr/San Antonio, TX Ford Mustang/2338 14 14

13 O7 r Mike O'Connor/Weatherford, TX Ford Taurus/2030 12 11

14 78 Harlon Hatcher/Converse, TX VW Sedan/1835 10 2

15 1 Bryce Dishman/Devine, TX Ford Mustang/2349 8 0

r eligible TPS "Rookie Of The Year" Award

Margin of Feature Race Victory 0:38 second

Feature Race leaders: # 2 led lap 1, # 27 led laps 2-22, # 20 led laps 23-25

Note 1: # 2 was penalized from 6th to 7th - 7 lbs light

Note 2: # 70 penalized 8th to 9th for re-start pylon infraction

TPS thanks sponsors of Race # 8:

Buggy Warehouse of San Antonio

TexasProSedans.com

Regal Plastics of San Antonio

AA Wrecker Service of Weatherford, TX

Ellen Murphy (Hairstylist) of San Antonio

TPS Points Thru: Race # 8 - August 20, 2005

Position Car # r Driver Hometown Point Total

1 20 Sergio Hexsel/San Antonio, TX VW Rabbit/2042 109

2 70 Donnie Moore/ Hutto, TX VW Scirocco/1710 107

3 27 Bill Labarge/Bryan, TX BMW/2085 104

4 2 Jack Dishman/Devine, TX Ford Mustang/2060 66

5 26 Lalo Leal/Corpus Christi, TX Ford Mustang/2338 61

6 15 r Tom Johnson/Kingsland VW Rabbit/1825 60

7 48 Mike Knotts/Universal City, TX VW Scirocco/1825 57

8 19 r Lloyd Hart/San Antonio Honda CRX/1834/4Valve 54

9 7 Jesse Sandoval/ Corpus Christi, TX Ford Pinto/2338 53

10 O1 r Eddie Orr/Weatherford, TX Ford T Bird/2030 37

11 1 Bryce Dishman/Devine, TX Ford Mustang/2349 36

12 33g Jamie Garner/San Antonio, TX 2005 VW Sedan/2008 35

13 30 r Chip Harmon/Portland, TX Ford Pinto/2338 35

14 72 Candi Hogan/Cedar Park, TX VW Sedan/2060 31

15 O7 r Mike O'Connor/Weatherford, TX Ford Taurus/2030 30

16 78 Harlon Hatcher/Converse, TX VW Sedan/1835 29

17 29 Rico Guiterrez/Corpus Christi, TX Ford Mustang/2338 28

18 71 Bruce Mabrito/San Antonio, TX VW Scirocco/1648 22

19 22 r Harry Osburn Jr/San Antonio, TX Ford Mustang/2338 22

20 14 r Joshua Tuttle/San Antonio, TX Chevrolet Cobalt/2000 17

21 18 Lanny Young/Kingsland, TX VW Karmen Ghia/2275 17

22 66 Ariel Arredondo/Corpus Christi, TX Ford Probe/2338 14

23 38 Dave Parks/San Antonio, TX 2001 VW Sedan/ 14

24 28 r Lisa Avalos/Corpus Christi, TX Ford Pinto/2030 12

25 77 G.B. Carter/Harlingen, TX VW Rabbit/1870 12

26 4 r Will Robertson/Corpus Christi, TX Dodge Neon/2000 9

27 53 Randy Larsen/Wimberley, TX Datsun 510/1800 8

28 33w John Wasek/Austin, TX 2005 VW Sedan/2008 8

29 3 r Jesse Sandoval Jr/Corpus Christi Ford Pinto/2300 6

30 15h Bucky Hutchison/Austin, TX VW Rabbit/1825 5

31 8 Pete Arce/Corpus Christi, TX VW Rabbit PU/1780 3

32 97 Kevin Hallman/Cibolo, TX Ford Mustang/2338 2

33 17 Bubba Ford/Corpus Christi, TX Ford Mustang/2338 1

34 89 John Leonard/Universal City, TX VW Rabbit IT/1800 0

35 6 Tony Johnson/Schertz, TX Ford Mustang/2338 0

Drivers without 2005 TPS Points:

9 r Larry Latham/Austin, TX Mazda RX-SCCA-IT105hp -

10 r Mark Pinson/Wichita Falls, TX Mazda RX-7/2338 -

21 r E.J. Gilpin/Corpus Christi, TX Ford Mustang/2338 -

50 r Rick Dawdy/San Antonio, TX VW Rabbit/tba -

51 r George Alton/Corpus Christi, TX Ford Probe/2338 -

55 r John Miesen/Marion, TX VW Sedan/tba -

85 r Ja Lane/Houston, TX tba -

88 Nellie Kelley/Corpus Christi, TX Ford Mustang/2338 -

99 r Ronald DeLeon/Corpus Christi, TX Ford Mustang/2338 -

r eligible TPS "Rookie Of The Year" Award

well jack sorry to hear after u spend all that money for another motor to run with the weight breaks it gives you . they still find u underweight . but after all of this if anyone wants to buy a car and enclosed trailer check with laol cause i hear he is really thinking hard of selling everything

What does "They" have to do with someone not putting enough lead in the car?? That's why the scales are open before the race, to make sure you have the weight right on the "official" scales, not just on your shop scales.

Sorry to hear Lalo is thinking about selling his car - he was one of the few who always ran fast at SAS & THR.

It didn't look like Jack had the handle on that new configuration anyway. I'll bet he gets faster with some time to figure out how the new motor and weight combination works.

Congrats to Sergio – Hard-Charging at a hard track. A SAS trophy is definitely a treasured one.

cRt racing --- ?????????

Not really sure what you are trying to say. Are you saying because Jack spent money they found him light?? If it is, that is just a stupid thing to say. If I miss-read it, my apologies. However, I was looking at some of the archived posts that dated back to 2003 earlier today. If you placed your posts from back then side by side with the posts from this year, you would not be able to tell the difference. Your song and dance has not changed.

I commend the Dishman's for continuing to work on their cars to make them faster and working within the rules. That is what racing is, trial and error. The fact he was light is a down right shame, and maybe it could have been avoided, maybe not. IMO, it looks like it could have been a miscalculation on what fuel he thought he would use , but I don't know. As 1-Crew pointed out, the scales at the track are the official scales that we are held to. For you to come on here and make your post just shows your contempt for TPS.

Engines are not free, and Jack spent money on the new engine to try to get his car faster. I cannot think of a single TPS car where the owners have not invested time and money in their cars this year to improve them. So far all I have seen cRt racing spend is hot air. Lots of ideas for the Ford drivers, but doesn't even own one himself. The drivers in TPS and (the new??) Texas Pro 4 have INVESTED time and money to do something they love, RACE. Where is your dog in this hunt? I see dedication from all of the drivers in TPS. How many have had to completely rebuild due to on track incidents, and are back. A few drivers missed a week or two due to the car not being rebuilt, but were back as quick as the could.

Actions speak louder than words. Heck, one driver who had to sit out for several races after one of the worst wrecks in TPS history was at the track in the pits at every race while his car was being rebuilt. That is dedication to our sport and to TPS, and why he has earned my respect. I read in several of your posts you don’t even attend the local anymore. Let’s see if I can sum this up correctly,

1) doesn’t own a car

2) doesn’t attend the weekly races

3) doesn’t support the drivers in the pits (doesn’t attend, he cannot be in the pits)

4) Comes on TSZ saying how TPS should be run

5) Makes snyde comments on TSZ when TPS admin does NOT take the "advice"

One of the threads I looked at from back in 2003 was Nick and Neil discussing PRO 4 as a progression to and Series sister to TPS. They were soliciting ideas and comments from the drivers and users here on TSZ. The outcome was that it was not the best idea at the time. Maybe now is the time. Why don't you put your GREAT ideas into action, and make the Texas PRO 4 a real deal, not just a one race event? Or, take up knitting, or perhaps Parcheesi, do anything, just stop going on with the same BS post after post.

If Lalo is selling his car (and I hope that rumor is not true, because he is fun to be around at the track, and a great competitor,) then why don't you buy it? I have read on numerous posts that you built that car, so lets see what you can do with it.

What every you choose to do, have fun, (that is the most important ingredient to hobbies...) :P

lloyd all im saying is im sorry for him to do all that work and still something is found on his car . it like people was trying to find something wrong there . i mean he had finished 6th . the only time they ever tecked me in the pro sedans was when i finished in the top 3 . but maybe times have changed. and why would i want to buy lalo's car when i sold him his first car . im the bad guy that got lalo involved in this sport . i was involved with the sport for 13 years .i ran pure stocks, hobby stocks , super stocks and of course mini stocks . you go in my house and it still has pictures and trophys all over the place

Archived