TPS Driver looses his life

NeilTPS

Greg Wood, also known as “Woody”, was a fellow Texas Pro Sedans driver. He lost his life early Wednesday morning (Aug 17) on the streets of San Antonio when he was hit by a car.

The August 20th TPS race at San Antonio Speedway will be dedicated to his memory.

Texas Pro Sedans drivers, crews and officials will be racing with heavy hearts on August 20th.

Greg Wood is remembered by many in the south Texas auto racing community as the driver of the Texas Pro Sedan #54 red, white and blue VW Rabbit. He competed in more than 100 TPS races at San Antonio Speedway, Longhorn Speedway in Austin, Thunder Hill Raceway, CC Speedway and in the TPS support races to the Texas Race of Champions at Texas World Speedway in College Station. Greg Wood also raced for several seasons in the Sportsman division at San Antonio Speedway. His last Texas Pro Sedans race was on September 25, 2004 at Thunder Hill Raceway. Greg Wood finished the 2004 TPS season in 11th place in competition with a field of 34 drivers for TPS Championship Points.

Greg did not race in 2005 as he was busy with the sport of motorcycling.

Greg Wood attended several NASCAR races in the southwest and southeast. His favorite was the Daytona 500.

Greg Wood was a graduate of the University of Texas in Austin.

The Texas racing community who knew “Woody” should keep Greg Wood and his family in their best thoughts at this difficult time for his family.

Greg Woods’ name will be placed in the Memoriam section of TexasProSedans.com

This TexasSpeedZone obituary was written by Greg Wood’s ’s friend - Neil Upchurch

Woody was one of those laid back racers who always seemed to be enjoying life more than the rest of us. He always had a smile or a joke or a wisecrack handy - or all three at the same time.

Woody and I go back a lot of years and he will surely be missed by those of us who were lucky enough to have spent much time around the man.

May God bless his family and many friends during this difficult time.

Nick Holt

I recieved this information earlier today from a friend of woody's that works with me. He had very little info. at the time. When I recieved Neil's e-mail it answered my fears.

Woody will be missed greatly and my thoughts and pray's go out to his friends and family. And I will always remember his encouragement to me when I started in TPS.

God bless you !

Tony Johnson

Greg was a great guy, Greg and I attended the 96 Cracker Barrel 500 at the Atlanta Motor Speedway,he always had a smile ,a laugh and a handshake for you. I will miss him and my prayers go out to his family and friends

In the short time that I did know Greg, I could tell he was someone that you could genuinely call a friend. I am sorry that I did not get the chance to know him better.

We are praying that God welcomes him home, and helps his family and friends through this tough time.

Lloyd

TPS #19

As most of you know, Greg Wood lost his life August 17.

Deb Williams of SAS has approved the August 20th TPS race at San Antonio Speedway to be dedicated to his memory.

Texas Pro Sedans Drivers, Crews & Officials will be requested to be at the Pit Road wall for 7:15pm opening ceremony.

Neil Upchurch

Race Director - TPS

Always feelings of a huge loss when one of our own in the racing community is lost. May God bless his family and friends in their time of need and my thoughts and prayers will be with them.

May Woody continue to race in his eternal life side by side with those who went before him.

God Bless

Greg Wood Memorial Service

A memorial service will be held for Greg Wood on Saturday, August 20 at noon.

The service will be held at the Castle Hill Christian Church which is located outside loop 410 at 6209 West Avenue (near Aggie Park). For additional road directions or other information call CHCC 210/344-7188.

From westbound Loop 410 take the West Avenue/Jackson-Keller exit and turn right at the light. CHCC will be on your left.

From Eastbound Loop 410 take the Jackson-Keller/West Ave. exit. Stay on the access road. At the 2nd light, turn left (West Ave). CHCC will be on your left.

Note: Due to the 2:00pm TPS race schedule at SAS, there will be no specific dress code required for those attending Greg's memorial service.

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

210/655-3222

Greg was a great friend and dearly loved the sport of racing, both two and four wheels. He definitely lived life to the fullest and with a smile could charm the ladies and with his whit made bad things better. Never had a bad thing to say about anyone and the sun was always shining when he was around. What a deep sense of loss and shock we the many of who called him friend have today and void that will never be filled.

Mike Balzer

An announcement for those planning to attend the memorial service, Saturday at noon.

If the church parking lot becomes crowded, race rigs and trailers may be parked in the Aggie Park parking lot next to the church. We thank the Aggie Park manager for the courtessy.

I want to thank all who read about "Woody" departing this track to race at a smoother one. I very much appreciate all of the nice posts.

Neil Upchurch

Race & Admin Director

Texas Pro Sedans

Archived