TIDA Late Model Series

NeilTPS

Budman: It appears that this subject is more appropriately placed in Texas Racing History - so I moved it here.

TIDA Late Model Series Champions

During the ten year run of the Texas International Drivers Association Late Model series, 134 races were contested on oval tracks and road courses in Texas, Oklahoma and Mexico. The reason I started the series was because all Texas ovals had suspended their Late Model or Super Late Model divisions. With the success we had with the Texas Race of Champions at Texas World Speedway, several track owners, car owners and drivers asked me to “save the Late Model class” by forming a touring series for the super late model type cars which were located all over Texas. 26 drivers paid membership dues and TIDA-LM took it’s first green flag at San Antonio Speedway on April 30, 1988. The last checkered flag was displayed at Longhorn Speedway in Austin on October 4, 1997

Following is a list of winners of the TIDA-LM Championship. When you read these drivers names you may know them or maybe heard of them. I do want all who read this article to understand that these drivers were the best of the best in Texas. The TIDA-LM series provided them with a playing field on which to demonstrate their championship skills. I am proud to have had the opportunity to organize the TIDA-LM touring series. I had the time of my life and I will never forget the ten years we operated the TIDA Late Model Series.

Neil Upchurch

Former President

Texas International Drivers Association Late Model Series

Year----Driver/Hometown………………….Car# -Type

1988 - John Kelly/Adkins, TX……………....#57 -Ford Thunderbird

1989 - Rick Rapp/Corpus Christi………......#99 -Pontiac Firebird

1990 - John Kelly/LaVernia, TX………….....#57 -Ford Thunderbird

1991 - Slick Yoemans/High Point, NC…....#24 -Ford Thunderbird

1992 - Slick Yoemans/High Point, NC…....#24 -Ford Thunderbird

1993 - David Umscheid/Cedar Park, TX…#52 -Chevrolet Lumina

1994 - David Umscheid/Cedar Park, TX…#52 -Chevrolet Lumina

1995 - Slick Yoemans/High Point, NC…….#24 -Ford Thunderbird

1996 - Jay Watson/Midland, TX…………....#48 -Oldsmobile Cutlass

1997 - Jay Watson/Midland, TX……….......#48 -Oldsmobile Cutlass

Compiled by: Neil Upchurch:

Founder & Former President & Race Director – TIDA Late Model Series (1988–1997)

Contributions by:

Cotton Sherland – Chief Inspector - TIDA Late Model Series - 1988 & 1989

Bob Castleberry – Chief Inspector - TIDA Late Model Series - 1990 - 1997

Archived