NASCAR-TWS Race History

NeilTPS

NASCAR Race History at Texas World Speedway

With all of the recent topics, postings, mis-information and interest regarding Texas World Speedway, I thought it would be informative to list race statistics about all of the NASCAR Cup races that were contested at the 2 mile, 22 degree banked super speedway near College Station.

The average spectator attendance was 35,000 to 40,000. Most of the NASCAR races at TWS were supported by a Saturday race consisting of the NASCAR class currently known as the Busch Series. Most of the races were televised live nationwide on the ABC-TV Network.

Year--Race Title--Winner--Type Car--Race Average Speed

1969--Texas 500-Bobby Isaac--69 Dodge > 144.277 mph

1971--Texas 500-Richard Petty--71 Plymouth >144.000 mph

1972--Texas 500-Buddy Baker--71 Dodge > 147.059 mph (500 record)

1972--Alamo 500--Richard Petty--72 Dodge > 144.185 mph

1973--Alamo 500--Richard Petty--73 Dodge > 142.114 mph

1979--Texas 400--Darrell Waltrip--79 Chevrolet > 156.216 mph

1980--Texas 400--Cale Yarborough.80 Chevrolet >159.046 mph (400 record/all green)

1981--Texas 400--Benny Parsons….81 Ford > 132.475 mph

Some of the well known drivers who competed in, but didn’t win NASCAR races at TWS were: Bobby Allison, David Pearson, Donnie Allison, Neil Bonnett, Ricky Rudd, Kyle Petty, Tim Richmond, Harry Gant, James Hylton, Dave Marcis, Tiny Lund, Leroy Yarbrough, Pete Hamilton, Joe Ruttman, Cecil Gordon, Joe Frasson, Coo Coo Marlin, J.D. McDuffie, Neil Castles, Hershel McGriff, Tony Bettenhausen, Jody Ridley, Elmo Langley, John Sears, Jabe Thomas, Wendell Scott, Bill Champion, Buddy Arrington, D.K. Ulrich, Frank Warren, Joe Millikan, Jackie Oliver, Lake Speed, Jimmy Means, Tommy Gayle, Ronnie Thomas, Dick May, Earle Canavan, Billy Hagen, Marty Robbins, Henley Gray, Richard Childress and Dale Earnhardt Sr who won the NASCAR Rookie of the Year Title in 1979.

Texans who raced in NASCAR events at TWS included: A.J. Foyt, Johnny Rutherford, Terry Labonte, Clarence Lovell, Paul Jett, Rick Baldwin, H.B. Bailey, John Haver, Walter Ballard, Bill Meazell, John Rezek, Ed Sczech and Jimmy Finger.

The fastest qualifying time and standing NASCAR Cup track record at Texas World Speedway is 176.284 mph. It was recorded by Buddy Baker on December 6, l969.

He drove a winged Dodge Daytona.

The total prize money won in the eight NASCAR Cup races held at Texas World Speedway was $845,805. (That was a lot of money in those days).

Note: The NASCAR 400 race at TWS on June 3, 1979 had some significant contestants. Besides the winner, Darrel Waltrip, the remaining top five drivers were: 2nd Bobby Allison, 3rd Buddy Baker, 4th Cale Yarborough and 5th Terry Labonte.

By - Neil Upchurch

Former Public Address Announcer at NASCAR Cup races at TWS

Former Race Director, Texas Race of Champions at TWS

Statistical data contributions by Cotton Sherland & txtom

We need to add two more races to the list, in 1980, and 1981.

1980 was won by Cale Yarborough.

1981 by Benny Parsons. Terry Labonte was the pole sitter in '81, but crashed, finishing about 23rd.

Here is a link to a site that has a run-down of all the TWS races, who competed, and where they finished.

Racing Reference

Racing Reference is an excellent source to find information on NASCAR racing.

Want to know how many races Texans Jimmy Finger, Ed Sczech, Ronnie Chumley, Clarence Lovell, Jerry Schild or anyone else ran?

It's all in there.

RW,

Neil's post is about the Cup races, which Slick never ran.

Slick ran the TROC races, and won it in 1991 on the new road course configuration after the track was rebuilt by the Japanese company that had bought it from Conole.

txtom: Thanks for your input. I edited my article with your information and added your name credit with Cotton's as providing statistical contributions.

If anybody else has a factual addition to contribute, please post it.

Thanks - Neil Upchurch

Sorry guys. Just going by what I was told. Maybe some of my old timers disease set in, or one of those senior moments. Anyway, keep up all the history on TWS. I really enjoy reading all about it.

I am a big Slick Yoemans fan anyway..................

Archived