Wednesday (6/11) practice at Bad Boyz

NickHolt

Someone who was at the practice called someone who then called me, so this information may be innacurate, but supposedly there were "about 10 cars practicing." This same source said there were maybe 50 people at the June 8th meeting at BBS. No idea how many registered with the track.

Nick Holt

I stopped by after work, so I can add a little detail.

The cars I saw between 5:30 and 7:00 were all THR cars: 37 and 11 pure stocks, 11, 01, and 9 street stocks. Robert Walton had his truck there also.

That was it during the time I mentioned. Most of the cars looked on the loose side. Everybody I talked to was running their THR gear, so I'm not sure how that will play out in the future.

The bleachers are not fixed yet, but it sounded like they will be working on that soon.

Chase

Again, this just amazes me...

Here's a track going to open up on July 4th....yet, you'd think they were running a SECRET society of racers! No public announcements about their meeting on Sunday night, no public announcement on holding practice, nothing..

Okay, Nick, I'll drop this subject before you have to edit my post! :D

Jonathan,

Chuck just gets kinda frustratied with track operators who don't utilize the media available to them to publicize their race track or sanctioning body. Chuck has a hour-long radio program and he has given the managment at Bad Boyz his number, but no one has called Chuck. Chuck just can't understand why these folks don't take advantage of his offer.

I can tell you also, that I have emailed Mary Miller offering to use Texas Speed Zone to make announcements about Bad Boyz, but I have not heard back from her either. This seems like a great opportunity to get the word out about the track that is not being taken advantage of.

Chuck, if I've missed your thinking here, feel free to correct!

Nick Holt

I think what he's talking about is that the track is relying on word of mouth in order to get the word about its existence. I don't live in Austin, so I'm not sure if they are advertising much there. From my vantage point, if I didn't visit this site regularly, the only way I would have known about the track is from a certain group of racers at THR that have a history there.

edited: Sorry Nick, we must have posted at the same time.

SS99

No problem, Chase.

Could you tell what the track surface was like?

The last time I raced there was back in the 1980's with the TIDA Late Models. At that time the track was pretty rough, especially on the inside where the pavement met the dirt. I have a pic of a HUGE boulder (must have wieghed 30 pounds) from the infield that Tommy Davis picked up inside his Late Model when he fell off the inside groove in turn 1-2 and into the dirt. LOL.. Have there been improvements to the track surface since then?

Nick Holt

This is just my opinion, but I think the track surface needs work. Both turns have a long strip of holes in the pavement throughout - sort of like deep rumble strips. These strips are right where your left side tires are positioned through the turn unless you are able to keep your car completely on the bottom of the track. Both straights have cracks on the outside edges where the weeds have been growing through, but the main racing surface on the straights looks OK. I know pavement work is not cheap, but these are just my observations.

Couldn't really tell what the infield was like because of the grass. The pits are grass also.

cs

Mr. Meredith,

Thanks for the info. Hope all is well with Meredith Racing this year.

Yes, Mr. Walker did get in touch with me via private message. He assures me that BBS does have a media/marketing plan, and that it does not involve our "little radio show."

My 1.99999 cents worth.

For BBS, you might want to watch those "little" rungs you step on while you are trying to climb to the top. You may need to stand on them one day and you sure want them to be sturdy.

From what I am seeing by reading this and other forums elsewhere. Track management has a tendency to look to their 1/4 to 1/2 mile track to make them rich but they want the racers and fans to make all the sacrifices to get them there. Not only that, but they treat the racers like hired help instead of a valuable product that they need to be marketing to the GENERAL public.

I may be wrong and if I am please correct me. I also may be cynical, but that happens with age LOL

Zoom,

you are totaly right. I dont understand why the owners of bad boyz are so "hell bent" on the idea that just because they are opening up a race track , that everyone will immediately rush to their gates. tell me if im wrong, but until thr opened longhorn was doing fine, but when thr open that gave the guys that were sick of tearing their cars up every weekend, a bigger and nicer track to race at....

in my opinion, unless the owners have something up their sleeves, they will not suceed.

-Jonathan Cleaver

Here is my two pennys again,

Longhorn for the most part wasn't allways perfect. They allway seems to have a couple of guys each years that were just running way to fast for the class they were in and were winning all the time. Most called it the "good ole boy" network. Longhorn had its good days and bad just like everybody else but towords the end the track really needed some money put into it but nobody seemed to want to put all that money into a track that they didn't or wouldn't own. The track owner never would just outright sell it. That is the advantage that Mr Miller has. Now towrds the end of Longhorn people started talking - if there was another place to race that was closer than San Antonio, Longhorn would die. Well THR opened and look what happened. Now THR may not have done everything right but it is still not a bad track. With all the problems with Texas racing this is a time for the two tracks to work together. If they work together it will benifit both tracks. As I said before Miller has the advantage that no one has had at Longhorn in a long time, complete ownership. Now sure maybe this year he just wants it up and running. But who is to say that next off season he knocks down one of the wall and makes it a 3/8 track. Sure that would cost more money but if he make it were teams would only have to change shocks and springs instead rear ends that would be benefitial. Longhorn has alway been a diamond in the rough. It will not become a Houston or an Irwindale but with time and money it can become as good of a facility as THR and SAS. I do hope that they work together so that I tell stories of the good ole days of running Friday and Saturday nights and how much fun it was.

Jut my two penny's worth

I think that building a 3/8 mile track would be uderly stupid. What wou8ld be the point??. we already have that at thunderhill. who is going to drive to both tracks when there is already a pretty nice 3/8 mile track.it doesnt make sense to me.

-Jonathan

This is Randy on Kevins name I think that Bad Boyz will do just fine. You say that people went to kyle casue they were tired of tearing up there cars well what happens at kyle every weekend cars get tore up thats part of racing. I have heared many people talk about how they like the track including lots of ROMCO drivers who are former TIDA drivers who love that track and not just the austin guys. You could easily run two wide there nd not wad up a car. I think bad boyz will be just fine

Chuck,

Give me your show phone number(s) and I will call. I don't remember when or what day(sat. or sun.) your show is. If you remember I said that we are persuing other avenues. I did not "assure" you that it would not include you show. You are right, we do need ALL of the publicity we can get.

If you need to conttact me, my digital pager number is 499-6840.

Wayne

Archived