Officiating @ short tracks

KahneFan

This is an honest question from a novice fan. Why is it that short tracks can't follow the same rules as the "big leagues" and just say if there's an accident, you get what spot you go back to? I've never seen NASCAR tell their numer ?? car to go back to ?? spot because they weren't "the cause" of the wreck they were in. Even if it's a "small" track like Bristol, if you're in a wreck, you get what spot you "end" in. Yeah, I can see how some people would get screwed, but it seems people are getting screwed as it is. The way I see it, it may make those people who "stop for the yellow" try a little harder to maybe get back on the track, keep it green and keep a position or two. Granted if the wreck is big enough for a yellow, you would have to sort out who "fell" into which position, but like I said, it seems no "less fair" than what I've seen everyone complaining about now. Plus, even if you spun with three or four other cars and went to the back, more than likely three or four cars will spin in front of you and you will be the "lucky dog" next time. Basically, if the yellow comes out the field is "frozen", but if you can keep it green you get whichever spot you end up in. There would be no favoritism, because no matter who you are, whereever you end up is where you end up. Like I said, this is an honest question from a novice.

On longer races, there is more time to move back up, something that's darn near impossible on a short track and a 50-lap (or less) race. But you have a good point, and if a driver knew he was going to lose ground no matter whose fault it was, he might think twice.

On the other hand, the officials could make the calls they are supposed to be making.

On longer races, there is more time to move back up, something that's darn near impossible on a short track and a 50-lap (or less) race. But you have a good point, and if a driver knew he was going to lose ground no matter whose fault it was, he might think twice.

On the other hand, the officials could make the calls they are supposed to be making.

Yeah, but even on a short track/race, there's a good chance you could have another spin or two or three or... ahead of you and you end up making your ground back up... I would think.

Electronic scoring is a godsend... not to mention one that ties in the timing and video feeds.. to put cars in the right place.. also.. sort track revert to the last completed greenflag lap most times.. If you have a 30 lap race and you get what you get.. you would have to count yellows too.. and we all know that wouldn't be a good thing..

Archived