need help on figuring

what it is is im trying to figure out total gearing . I know how to get the gearing by multipling the trans gear by the rearend gear but what i need help with is how do you factor the tire size in to that to fine tune the gearing. I know that tire size will change the total gearing but i dont know what formula to use to figure it out. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Tire size is the part of the equation that turns revolutions into a distance, 82 inch rollout is 82 inches of forward movement for one revolution. In the "on track" world that would give you a speed in Inches/minute that could be converted to MPH if you wanted but that is kind of meaningless number for improving performance.

What you need is to simply divide your target RPM by your actual RPM to get a ratio. That ratio will be the same as the ratio of you target gear to your actual gear or your target rollout to actual rollout.

Example: to change from 6000 to 6200 with gear with a known 3.25 rear in the car,

6200/6000 = gear/ 3.25

6200/6000 x 3.25 = gear = 3.358

We need to change the equation when dealing with distance since it is the bottom term (revolution/distance).

To make the same change with tire, starting with an 82" tire:

6200/6000 = 82/tire

6200/6000/82 = tire = 79.355"

Archived