South Boston 200

ron.brown11

Well I finally got a chance to sit down and watch the SoBo 200 last night. It must be the week for DQing the winners. Carson Kvapil (driving Dale Jr's #8) got DQd for having a left rear shock that wasn't "to code". They weren't done yet with the DQs. Third place finisher Landon Huffman was also DQd. His was pretty flagrant too. Both axle tubes were cambered, and the left spring & rear shock assembly were not in compliance. Dale Jr said that the shock that they ran had not been approved by the sanctioning body, and accepted the DQ.

The race winner officially is Bobby McCarty. That's 2 in a row for him. An interesting side note, the Huffman car that was DQd, was the car McCarty had driven for the last few years. Neither McCarty or the car owner ever explained why they split. They had won quite a few races, and I think 2 championships together. The SoBo 200 was the first race this season that car even looked competitive. I hope the reason wasn't just the illegal stuff. Huffman is the second driver for that car this season. I can't think of the first driver's name right now, but he ran a season or two in the Xfinity series a few years ago.

I agree 24nomo. However this was not a CARS race. This is the first race for the VA Tri-Race series (not the exact name, as it escapes me right now). The next race will be at Langley, and the final race will be at Martinsville. There they will crown the race winner & the 3 race series champion.

As I've said on here before, the CARS Series, with all the new Cup/team ownership involvement, is the hope for asphalt racing in America. Their lead series is the Late Model Stock Car series, and the second is the Pro Late Model series. They also have, but it has been weak & lightly promoted, is their Super Late Model series. My hope is that with the SRL expanding from their west coast home base, and having strong fields, the CARS Tour might start trying to beef up their own Supers program. As the SRL is now sanctioning races on the west coast, in Alabama, Michigan, and unfortunately the rained out/cancelled race at I-44 Speedway. Maybe the CARS tour will take advantage of hosting races, that some of these current Supers, that are racing shows under the SRL banner, will attend. There are still a lot of Supers out there in this country, they just need rules that are consistent, that will allow them to go racing without having to rebuild their cars, depending on which series they want to race with. All of the SRL races have Mr Ricky Brooks as the head of tech. He's the same guy that runs tech for the Snowball Derby. The rules are the rules, and they are enforced. I love that the rules apply to all, regardless of the driver/owner's name. The CARS Tour showed that last week when the DQd Harvick's #62 car. I hate that they had to do that, but it's better for the sport.