Kaden Honeycutt @ the CARS Tour Race at Langley

ron.brown11

With 15 laps to go, Connor Hall & Brendan Queen muscled past Kaden. Kaden finished 3rd. Both Hall & Queen are from Hampton, VA, and Langley is their home track. Queen has won the last 3 late model track championships there. Both have won numerous mains there over the last 5 seasons. Langley is really hard on tires, and I think that was the difference in the end. Both have run many short & long races there. 

Heck of a wheelman for sure. The talent is obviously there, and hopefully a team that has good sponsorship can pick him up. It's really hard these days to get good rides if you aren't bringing either a big sponsor, or a fat wallet.

He led all but 30 laps (the first & last 15 laps of the race). At the beginning of the race, he was running 3rd, where he started. About lap 8, there were 3-4 cars behind him that were really getting aggressive, nearly wrecking him a couple of times. It looked like the flip of a switch. He just drove away from them, then passed the first 2 cars. As I watch the races from Langley very often, I figured that Hall & Queen were conserving their tires. But after the 2 comp cautions, and a couple more for crashes, he was still leading. He had 2/10s on second & third. On lap 16, Hall & Queen flipped the switch, and passed him on lap 15. Kaden ran about 2/10s behind them the rest of the race. With the exception of all the lights going out, and that hard 4 car crash, it was a fun race to watch. 

If the SRL & the CARS Tour can continue their upward trajectories, I really think that can have a very positive effect on asphalt late model racing across the country. This Wed is the Money in the Bank at Berlin Raceway. Carson Hocevar & Eric Jones from NASCAR will be on hand. So will Bubba Pollard. I was kind of surprised that William Byron won't be there defending his win there last year. He won at New Smyrna in Feb. Byron has a really good super late model program. But the car I think will win is a local youngster named Evan Shotko. I don't think he's 20 yet. Not only is he a wheelman, he's the head set up guy for several of the Berlin regulars in several divisions. Hocevar was a regular & a champion at Berlin before getting to NASCAR. I think Shotko is better, but doesn't have the big sponsors the he did. So like Honeycutt, $$$ may stunt their careers. I sure hope not.