Big Joe Lombardi, “Voice Of The Bulldawgs”, Passes Away

I was sad to hear that Big Joe had passed. He was not only the voice of the Copperas Cove Bulldawgs, but longtime announcer at Texas Thunder Speedway and fill in at Heart O Texas Speedway on occasion. Many's the night I spent time up in the Texas Thunder tower with Joe and ol Sarge. I will always cherish those nights. I learned a lot about announcing, like never having any dead air time, when to fill and when to be silent..........

RIP Big Joe

Big Joe Lombardi, “Voice Of The Bulldawgs”, Passes Away

Thu, 2023-03-09 20:39 david_morris

By LYNETTE SOWELL

Cove Leader-Press

On Thursday evening, March 9, at approximately 7:45 p.m., Joe Lombardi, known to most in the Central Texas area as “Big Joe” Lombardi, passed away. His wife, Sherry Hoffpauir, was by his side at a Killeen hospital.

Longtime friend Peter Simpson made the announcement on social media on Thursday evening, with her approval.

Lombardi has called Copperas Cove home for more than 45 years and is best known for his personality, both on and off the air, his love of sports, the Bulldawgs, and the Dallas Cowboys.

He was a disk jockey at KOOV when it was a country radio station and continued to broadcast and announce for the Copperas Cove Bulldawg sports.

Information about services will be announced in the days to come.