old school

hey who remembers the good old days of the ahra circut. anyone remember the old days when drag racing was a door slammer with no wieght cut off and a 4 speed powered by a small block with no electronics what so ever. them where the good days. the days when it all depended on the drivers ability to drive his car as consistant as he could. i can remember my father taking us on the circut when he raced from the sixtys to the seventies. it was great. nothing like seeing a 3800 plus car with a 327 small block on 10 inch slicks pull the tires off the line and carry them thru 3 to 4 gears. them where the days. i remember the contest where the ladies would almost get buck naked on the back of the tow vehicle trying to get the crowd to cheer so she could win some money. the parties at the track that lasted till the next morning and the drivers would drive hours even days just to get back home. well just wondering if any one remembers those days man they where great.

i remember em well-ran in ahra-we had a couple of records-it was some racing for sure-had alot of weight per cubic in classes-some 55 chevy wagons with small blocks hanking the wheels sky high with a 4 speed was hell on drivelines-i remember a halter top contest at alamo dragway in 77 my good friends lady won riding on the back of a white convertible pontiac catalina down the track on nickle beer nite in front of a house full of drunks with another girl for $150 first prize-he told her to do whatever to win, he needed the money for a new camshaft-as they went down the track sitting on the back of the car to the end of the stands and turned around, the men in the stands were going nuts so she took her top off-needless to say,she won the money and he bought the camshaft-we told him his car didnt win but the mellons did

yea those where the days. Matter of fact alamo dragway was my fathers main sponser when he raced in the ahra. He ran a 64 impala called the Jack of Diamonds. We still got the old car but no one runs it cause its his pride and joy. He bought it brand new off the show room floor. He dont like no one messing with it, believe me when i say if you bother it he will bother you. I can remember one time my father bought a old blue 4 door impala i think is was a late 70s car. He bought it in San antonio for a couple hundred bucks. On the way home he decided to stop in at alamo dragway to race it for fun. It was cold has hell that night and everytime he would run we would stand by the staging lights when he would take off and wait for him to complete his pass so we could get back in the car. The man on the mic was teasing him calling the car the blue goose and it smoked like hell. But he ran all night on a 10 dollar entry and dam if he didnt win his class and make more money than he paid for the junky car. I notice you were talking about records in the ahra. My father held some too. In 77 at a national he set a record and with the win the chevorlet company had his car painted to his choice and gave him an engine of his choice of coarse he stayed with the 327 cause he just loves the grumble it makes. dam sure do miss those days.

Archived