Series event races & Texas

TRACK ANNOUNCER

I was browsing through my 2004 ( Have yet to get the 2005 book ) National Speedway Directory and noticed something.

Texas. It's one big huge state that has more tracks than any other state in the country. Despite this large quanity of tracks. Very few tracks in the state of Texas plays host to some form of a regionally recognized or prominent racing series. The exception would be tracks such as Texas Motor Speedway, Paris Motor Speedway, Devils Bowl Speedway and maybe Houston's track. Is this due to the large quanity of tracks competing against each other in Texas that prevents raceways from being able to afford a series visit?

While looking at the season schedules for all series listed in the directory. I noticed several states such as Pennsylvania, Indiana, New York and Ohio that are much smaller in size ( And having a large quanity of tracks ) scheduled series visits at many of it's tracks that are large and small. Nearly every state in the USA, despite it's size and it's quanity of tracks still managed to find a way to put regionally recognized or prominent racing series events on it's season schedule much more often than Texas raceways. Why??

I look to my fellow comrads for some insight.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure the series situation is as sparse as you suggest. ASCS sprint cars regularly come to Beaumont, Baytown, Waco and occasionally Bryan. World of Outlaws comes to Baytown once a year, which would be twice a year if not for management problems with the series itself. The Supr Later Models hit Baytown a couple of times a year also.

I don't believe the problem is an over-abundance of tracks. When you look at the geographical area and population around each track, it is hard to think there is no market, although I realize the number of entertainment options are greater than ever before. The closest track to me is an hour away, and there are a couple of million people closer to it than I am.

From reading the racer's posts on Who-Won, and my personal observations, I would venture that the main track problem is bad management. Many posts could be (and have been) written on this subject, but I will leave it at that for the moment.

Archived