compression vs lift

97car

Which would you guys choose more valve lift or more compression? My last head was milled about .070-.080 and had a .540 lift cam,this is on a 2300 motor,I don't see how I could do both as tight as that head was. I see that the head could be milled about .170,but they were only running a .500 lift cam,and got 12.3 compression. On the old head I remember I was very limited on how far it could be retarded,but not on the advance side.

I'm not familiar with the TPS induction package, but if you are limited on the carb/intake side, I would think that you don't gain a whole bunch above .500 lift anyway. If that is true, I would go with the increased compression.

It's hard to argue against the benefits of increased compression.

• 2 weeks later...

well i run an esslinger big roller head 620 lift and when we first go t the head it was milled a .150 they say not to go any more unless needed and you have to measure all your heights before doing. Compression is real important when it comes to these 2300s. But so is a good head. The best package for and averange dollar is a 5.7 inch rod 2300 with some weisco pistons and a bada$$ head. If you have goood pistons dont worry about the vavle clearing the piston, my roller head is now milled at a .193 thou.

Archived