Gulf Coast Racing Series News: Wheel Man Series rules adapted for 2022

For immediate release
GCRS Public Relations

Texas Super Stocks adapting to Wheel Man Series rules package for 2022
Expanded tour to run South Alabama Speedway on June 4

HOUSTON, Texas (Feb. 18, 2022) — Officials of the Gulf Coast Racing Series (GCRS) have announced plans to adapt their popular Texas Super Stock division to current rules in the Florida-based Wheel Man Sportsman Series. The class will now be known as the Wheel Man Sportsman division. 

This move comes as tracks and sanctioning bodies look to align themselves in collaborative efforts to grow and enhance affordable divisions. The newly renamed division will run a few races at the newly-revived Mobile International Speedway this year, and will also compete against the Wheel Man Series teams at South Alabama Speedway on Saturday, June 4. 

“I'm excited because this is another class we're able to bring from Texas to race at Mobile, offering the Texas racers more racing,” Gulf Coast Racing Series Director Gina Schild-Knowles said. “It also will give us a great base of racers to add other WMS teams that may want to come race with us here.”

Knowles has been working with Wheel Man Series director Ricky Brooks. 

“I'm working with Ricky on getting these guys included into the WMS points system, so in 2023 we can have some Alabama WMS racers and Florida WMS racers, maybe have two state championships and crown one Overall Champion based on both of those points.” 

Brooks runs the Wheel Man Series much as he runs Technical Inspection at Five Flags; with an eye towards thorough, consistent rules enforcement and a level playing field. He knows the Texas Super Stocks are full of talented teams, and welcomes those Lone Star State racers to the series.  

“I think Gina is making a good move here,” Brooks said. “We've spoken with several of her drivers about this, their cars are fairly similar and most feel they will be pretty competitive. I think the event at South Alabama Speedway in June will be a great night.

“I'm thrilled to see what she's doing at Mobile,” he added. “She has a loyal following in Texas. I want her to succeed in Mobile, and we welcome her teams to our Wheel Man Series events any time they come. Gina has the right idea to build for the future.” 

The Advance Auto Parts Pro Trucks will also be a part of the show at South Alabama Speedway on June 4, making for a thrilling show for fans in attendance. 

Super Stock racer Beau Bukowski, of New Braunfels, says the timing for this move is right in 2022. 

“I think this is the best move Gina has made for asphalt racing in Texas,” Bukowski said. “This class is a no-brainer, since it's fairly affordable and the cars are still pretty racy. We're building a new car to go run that Wheel Man Series race in June, and excited about it. I'm all on board with these changes.” 

Kody Brusso, of Pensacola, Florida, is a proven winner throughout the Deep South. She loves traveling to new tracks, learning new skills and tackling new challenges. She says Texas teams add to the Wheel Man Series mix.

“I think Gina has the right idea to grow that former Super Stock class,” Brusso said. “Those cars are a lot like the Sportsman cars that run the Wheel Man Series, and the crossover should produce some great racing. It's affordable, and everybody is on equal ground, which is why the racing is so close. 

“Gina is one of those creative promoters who have a real passion for the weekly warriors. It's those teams that will help her revive Mobile, not a visiting Super or Pro Late Model race. She appreciates every team that races with her Gulf Coast series; I know that from experience. This is a smart move.” 

The Gulf Coast Racing Series will open its 2022 campaign on Saturday, March 26, at the beautiful high-banked 1/2-mile Mobile International Speedway in Irvington, Alabama.  

For more information, please go to www.facebook.com/nascargulfcoast. 

https://www.texasshorttrackracingseries.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Gulf-Coast-2022-Wheelman-rules.pdf

Gulf Coast Logo.jpg

Edited by RodneyRodriguez