Opening Night at New Smyrna

ron.brown11

Joe Aramendia started on the pole in his modified, for opening night at the World Series of Stock Car racing. The car looked scary loose. He ended up finishing 5th. The good news is that the car is undamaged. Joe's a PRO, he'll get it sorted out I'm sure. The car looks really fast, and it's my favorite colors, red, white & blue. Beautiful car Joe!!

Joe's car looked more stable tonight. Again, Joe started on the pole. He was running 3rd, when the first of 2 big crashes happened. A guy out of NC had a throttle sick, and hit the turn 3 wall a ton! Thankfully he just got the wind knocked out of him. All race tracks' fire safety crews should be forced to watch what not to do when responding to a crash. After that guy pounded the wall, the car caught fire, and the driver wasn't getting out. It took about 1.5 minutes to get a fire extinguisher on scene. That car had to be dollied off between 2 wreckers. On the restart, another car had a rear suspension break going into turn 1. That crash too required a 2 wrecker operation.

On the next restart, Joe started in 3rd. Going into turn 1, the back end stepped out on Joe. He collected another car, and Joe backed it into the wall pretty hard. The other car couldn't continue, but Joe's crew was able to do some quick work to get him back out. He drove it from the back to finish 3rd. The rear sheetmetal was jacked up pretty good on the left rear, but seemed to not hurt the handling too much. Joe said in the post race interview that was really sorry, and that he sure wasn't expecting the backend to step out like that. I saw a patch on Joe's fire suit that surprised me. He had a Ford patch on it. I'd only seen him run a Chevy before, but I haven't gotten to see him race since the closed Thunderhill.