TPS Lucky dog?!

walshes

First of all I would like to congradulate Sergio Hexsel for the TPS win!!!!

Second of all I must say that I think the 'single file past the cone' restarts is a good rule . I have seen enough damage the old way to sell me on the 'cone' any time. But... on the last TPS race I witnessed a restart with 4 laps to go where a car running slow and at least 1 lap down was put between the first place car and the seond place car. The field got the green when the leader was comming into turn four and by the time the second place car passed the cone (slowed by the lapped car) the leader was already in turn one with a commanding lead. Due to the equity of the top runners the leader was not challenged for the rest of the race.

What if the first (only one) lapped car after the leader got a lap back and was sent to the back of the field on a restart? This would get the leaders together and wow the croud like the last San Antonio TPS race did ! Hopefully!

I know there is a 10% rule for lapped cars to go to the rear but on a 20 lap race thats only 2 laps till the end.

Texas Pro Sedans, with the in car radios, could impliment this better at this level than any other class. I don't know about how easy it would be for timing and scoring though?! In my opinion this would be good from a croud pleasing point of view as well as for the competitors!

Just a thought.

John Walsh Crew for #27

This is a TPS response to comments made by…John Walsh, Crew for TPS car #27

John Walsh …First of all I would like to congratulate Sergio Hexsel for the TPS win!!!!

TPS: In behalf of the driver of TPS #20, I accept and will pass on your congratulations. The race at Thunder Hill Raceway on May 28 was his first TPS points race Feature win.

John Walsh …Second of all I must say that I think the 'single file past the cone' restarts is a good rule . I have seen enough damage the old way to sell me on the 'cone' any time.

TPS: Thank you for the vote of confidence. TPS adopted the cone rule in 2004 when we saw it’s benefits when used at a TAMS race and proved the worth when TPS tried the cone rule.

John Walsh …But on the last TPS race I witnessed a restart with 4 laps to go where a car running slow and at least 1 lap down was put between the first place car and the second place car.

TPS: Under our rules, the car to which you refer was entitled to restart in that position. On the TPS driver channel, I offered him an option to re-start at the rear, but he opted to stay where he was entitled to restart.

John Walsh …The field got the green when the leader was coming into turn four…

TPS: The THR flagman had the option of when to show the green flag.

John Walsh …and by the time the second place car passed the cone (slowed by the lapped car) the leader was already in turn one with a commanding lead. Due to the equity of the top runners the leader was not challenged for the rest of the race.

TPS: That is a correct observation on how that restart played out.

John Walsh …What if the first (only one) lapped car after the leader got a lap back and was sent to the back of the field on a restart?

TPS: Our race procedures were followed correctly. TPS Officials would have been wrong to send the slower car to the rear to as you say to, “wow the crowd”.

John Walsh …This would get the leaders together and wow the crowd like the last San Antonio TPS race did ! Hopefully!

John Walsh …I know there is a 10% rule for lapped cars to go to the rear but on a 20 lap race that’s only 2 laps till the end.

TPS: To do otherwise would inject an “Australian Pursuit” gimmick format into TPS races.

John Walsh …Texas Pro Sedans, with the in car radios, could implement this better at this level than any other class.

John Walsh …I don't know about how easy it would be for timing and scoring though?!

TPS: Moving all lead lap cars to the front under the TPS 10% rule is difficult. To do this throughout a race would “Wow the crowd” by giving them a display of field re-alignment delays after every yellow.

John Walsh …In my opinion this would be good from a crowd pleasing point of view as well as for the competitors!

TPS: I don’t believe neither all the spectators would want constant re-alignment delays and neither would competitors who had passed the slower car by racing past it to have the rest of the field get “the Lucky Dog Award” to pass that car for free every time there was a yellow.

John Walsh …Just a thought from: TPS # 27 crew person)

TPS: Response thoughts from - Neil Upchurch, Race Director, Texas Pro Sedans

Neil, I am neither agreeing or disagreeing, simply trying to help. I don't think John was suggesting to send lapped cars to the back to restart a lap down and in the rear. I think he was more suggesting to adopt a NASCAR style "lucky dog" pass and put them to the rear... but one lap up from their previous lap count. So, the person who was "running slow" would be put to the rear, but starting on the lead lap (or 1 lap up).

Personally, on larger tracks, this may be a good idea. But, when you're talking about a bull ring... soup bowl... whatever, this may not work. The reason being, when yellows don't count, why not lose a lap to fix a flat... you'll just get it back on the next yellow. Just from that example, it may not work so well... then again, it might.

John Walsh: Well Thanks for the blow-by-blow there Neil!

I understand the complexity of keeping a race running smooth. (and quickly) And you do it very well Neil! My thoughts were just that -thoughts.

What makes a race memorable as a fan is how good the front runners finnished.. the closer the better. I agree that slow yellows get tedious from a fans point of view!, but if a race that went slowly on yellow, finishes with a 6 inch differance between first and second with a close third thrown in, the fan will completely forget the slow yellows! If the same race ends with the winner walking away because the other competitors were held up- the fan remembers the slow yellows not who won. Races that are close bring fans back to the track!

I enjoy the TPS races as a fan and a team member! I hope we have another 30 years of close racing!

John Walsh

crew for TPS car #27

Archived