passing on the outside

I clocked a lot of LM and SLM cars last season at THR, especially through turns 1 and 2. The traditional lower groove is still the faster line for the most part which is why you tend to see single file racing in those classes.

However, several drivers have discovered that the quickest way around THR CAN be to "diamond" turns 1-2 much like the fast teams do through turns 3-4 at San Antonio.

This line is VERY hard to find at THR and even the best drivers only find it about every 10th attempt. If they hit is just right, it is about .2 second quicker than the lower line, but if they miss it, it's about .4 second slower than the bottom line.

Running through 1-2 in the upper line like you would the lower groove is about .3 second slower than the bottom line.

Other teams set up for the upper line during practice and use it during the race. Most of the time they are around .2 second slower than the lower line, but if they can keep beside the car they are trying to pass they do have a better shot out of 2 and, if they have the motor, can pass going down the back straight or get under going into 3.

I haven't timed many cars at THR this season, but I imagine things haven't changed too much since last.

One thing I did notice is that the rubber in 1-2 is about 3-4 feet up the track from where it was last year.

Nick Holt

Nick is right. Once you find that line..... Well lets just say, I passed 20 cars at the Stockcar Spectacular last season to win my feature race. Almost all passes were made by "Diamonding"

the corners. I have found that by doing that, my car takes a "set" and gives me

the option to cut under a car on the bottom, or let my car carry alot of speed out to the outside line.

But.... It's all about the setup you have under your car.

T.D.C.A.#05

Keith Roach

Archived