Ed Sczech

NickHolt

Nick:

I am pleased to report to everyone that the driver of #61 is my good friend and former co-driver in several road races in Mexico, Ed Sczech of San Antonio.

I think this picture was taken at the Talladega International Speedway. Ed was asked by Don Bierschwale to drive his Chevelle in the fall NASCAR 500 after the late Clarence Lovell returned from surviving "the big one" in the spring race at Talladega only to meet his end in a solo accident on Loop 410 in his pickup. It was ironic that after racing at the fastest track in the world that "Slim" as Clarence was known, was killed three days later, here at home.

By the way, Clarence was the first SA driver to race at the Autodromo of Monterrey, Mexico. After his death, Ed and I and others made our way south of the border to compete in some really big road races. Ed Sczech was also the winner of the first Texas Race of Champions at Texas World Speedway in 1976. I initiated and organized the TROC because of the success that several Texas based stock car drivers had on road courses in Mexico.

As Paul Harvey would say, "and that's the rest of the Texas Racing History story".

Neil Upchurch

Neil

That is too cool. Thanks for that story. I remember Lovell. I went to school with his brother. You are right of corse about the driver and car owner. You guys You, Nick, and Tom need to pull your resorces and write these things down. I would love to hear all of your stories. Thanks again

Archived