May Madness Battle Heats up at SAS

For Immediate Release

San Antonio Speedway Public Relations or

Terry Barden, (210) 628-1499

San Antonio Speedway Office

MAY MADNESS BATTLE HEATS UP

San Antonio, TX (May 12, 2005) – Gearing up for some fast racing action this Saturday night at San Antonio Speedway (SAS) are some local “hot shoes” who welcome the speed and the competition. Live NASCAR racing at San Antonio Speedway will begin at 7:30 p.m. this Saturday, May 14, and several NASCAR Late Model drivers can’t wait to be part of the action.

Three NASCAR Late Model drivers are very close in the 2005 points race. Robert Barker is in the lead (236 points), followed closely by Donny Horelka (214 points) and Joe Aramendia (210 points). All three drivers have set their sights on the 2005 NASCAR Late Model championship, especially with the $1000 incentive to win during May Madness.

Returning to San Antonio Speedway on Saturday night for the first time of the 2005 season will be the 2003 and 2004 NASCAR Late Model Champion, Larry Bendele. Since he’s a proven winner, Bendele will likely throw a new curve into the melee for the points race. Also returning this weekend will be Lloyd Alexander, who finished a strong second in the Spring Fling 75 race that was held on April 30.

Both Barker and Aramendia welcome the competition from Bendele and any other drivers “who want to take them on!” Since both drivers have won two feature events already this season, Barker and Aramendia will be tough to beat.

Barker is pleased to see more drivers competing in the NASCAR Late Model class. “I think it’s great that we’ll have a few more cars racing this weekend, but it will make it tougher to qualify in the Top 6. My starting position is becoming more important each week, especially with the new 8-inch tire rule,” stated Barker. “I just hope Bendele can’t catch me,” joked Baker. Aramendia agrees that qualifying is important, and he’s also ready to take on the competition. Aramendia commented, “I’m looking forward to competing against Bendele again, and I’m also ready to take on Barker. He raced me real clean last week, and I’m ready to battle him for another win!”

Eric Knudtson and Greg Rohmer are also in a heated competition in the NASCAR Sportsman class. Both drivers have already claimed at least one victory this season, and only eight points separate them for the lead in the 2005 NASCAR Sportsman points race. Heading up the NASCAR Road Runner class are Mark Mathias and Randy Frautschi, while Mona Turner is dominating the NASCAR Women On Wheels class.

Grandstand gates will open at 5:00 p.m., opening ceremonies begin at 7:15 p.m., and the first green flag will wave promptly at 7:30 p.m.

San Antonio Speedway is a half-mile NASCAR-sanctioned oval asphalt track that is located at 14901 State Highway 16 South (Poteet Highway), about 3.5 miles south (outside) of Loop 410. The speedway can be accessed easily by taking IH 35 South and exiting on Highway 16 South (left exit), just past South Park Mall. The race hotline number is (210) 628-1867, and the speedway's website can be found at http://www.sanantoniospeedway.com.

For More Information, Contact:

Debbie Williams, San Antonio Speedway Public Relations, (210) 685-0400, debwill@sanantoniospeedway.com, or Terry Barden, San Antonio Speedway Office, (210) 628-1499, terlinbarden@yahoo.com.

Archived