Should ROMCO add a road course?

TheLegend96

I'm sitting here thinking about the upcoming race at Texas Motor Speedway, and I can't help but ponder why ROMCO hasn't added an a road course to thier schedule. Texas World Speedway would be an excellent addition and compliment the season. It would be a big draw for both local fans, fans abroad, and drivers across the region. Simillar to the TMS race, variety and appeal to racing fans is what gets us out there to support our favorite drivers.

In writing this, I do understand that ROMCOis primarily a short track series.

While we are all pondering this idea give us your thoughts on who would be the winner.

Check out the web page below and sound off to let us know what you think.

Texas World Speedway 1.8 Mile Road Course

I think a road course would be great to watch but how many Romco competitors do you think have the equipment to run a road course competitively? I assume even the offset cars could move enough weight around to make the car handle but what about transmissions? Could just about any 4 speed transmission work or would they need a "real " racing trans?

For the most part they are painfully boring to watch and tear up alot of equipment...... drivetrain

gearing , engines etc.

based on the first race there i dont think it was a fan favorite or a driver/owner favorite either.

There just needs to be 1 or 2 more short tracks in Texas to help it and other pavement series grow in Texas.

Good luck to everyone at TMS , i think this time round its gonna be a good one , i think the last one drew alot of attention and should get a few more cars.

I know we had a lot of fun at TWS from the 70's to the early 90's. The last race I went to at TWS was that very road course mentioned in this thread, in the early 90's. A race won by Slick Yoemans.

Poorboy, if you look at the diagram of that track, it is still predominately left turns, the off-set cars can make the weight without too much problems. As I remember, they didn't give up too much to the perimeter cars, if anything.

As far as transmissions, a lot of the racers already have transmissions that could be used, or know where to borrow them. The big question mark would be the tires. The old McCreary EC-84's ran good up there, not too sure about the new ones. They seem to be built different now.

If I had to pick a winner, I'd say any of the guys who ran the old TROC---Greg Davidson as the favorite. As I recall, TWS owes him a win or two. I'd have to put Tommy Grimes and Jay Watson at the top. Don't remember if Chris Davidson has ever run a road course, but he'd have to be a favorite, too. Eddy Wallace has a lot of road course kart experience, would get up there quick.

Most of us old timers have treasured memories of the many TROC and Texas Grand Prix races at Texas World Speedway. It would be great if the current generation of racers could experience similar events at TWS. Neil Upchurch was the driving force behind all those races.

I understand that Robert Mullins asked Neil to look into the possiblity of running the ROMCO cars there last year, but the TWS schedule was entirely booked for the year. But I notice there are a few weekends open later this year on the current TWS schedule on the their website. Hmmmmmmmm.........

With that thought in mind, I called Mr. Upchurch a few minutes ago and asked him point blank if he'd be interested in administering a revived TROC road race this fall if he were asked. Without hesitation he said he would be willing to work for a track renter, ROMCO or investors to administer another TROC. As he put it, "I certainly know what it takes to put on an successful event there." Talk about an understatement...

Now, if I can just find a College Station / Bryan motel that wasn't there back in the 70's and 80's. I'm pretty sure the older motels still have my name on their "black list." LOL

Nick Holt

Nick,

After seeing you and some of your cronies in action a couple of times up there, I'm not surprised to hear you say you had fun there, although I seriously doubt you really remember much of it!!

Does the Aggieland Inn ring a bell?

Who else out there has rebuilt engines, transmissions, etc, in their hotel room?

Lege9mod,

Are you talking about the TROC and Texas Grand Prix road course races at Texas World Speedway or the first ROMCO oval race at Texas Motor Speedway? Some race fans find road course racing far more interesting than oval track racing. I personally enjoyed the road course races at TWS and in Mexico more than any oval track race. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

As far as tearing up a lot of equipment, I don't recall any TROC or Texas Grand Prix races at TWS where a lot of equipment got torn up. Maybe a tranny or two if the driver can't drive.. lol.

I'd have to pick Greg Davidson to win at TWS. He knows what gears to put in that Jerrico tranny after all those years of running there.

Nick Holt

Mel,

I'll have you know that I go to the hair salon every month to have them put some gray in my facial hair. Otherwise, my beard gets so dark that young women find me totally irresistable and pester me for dates. For the sake of my marriage I have to tint my beard with some gray.

And chess and checkers??? Naw.. It's skateboarding and skydiving for me.

And TxTom,

I remember everything about those races. Just don't recall much about after the races though. And why does the name Aggieland Motel ring a bell with me? LOL

Nick Holt

Hmmmmmm...

Aggieland Motel? Nick coloring his beard? wild game of chess/checkers? rebuilt engines, transmissions, etc, in their hotel room?

Sounds like a media story to me....maybe between myself and "4-Minute Media Man" Rebel, we can dig up the facts??

:D:P

nick,

i was refering to the race at TMS , i used to go to TWS as a kid and thought

that TWS race was good but the TMS race compared to it was not good.

maybe if theyjumped up on the speedway for a bit it would be ok.

but to run that race on a regular race week prob would not work because of all the infield camping people have there.

yes Greg was Bad fast at TWS but ... man i remember him being rough on the tranny hehehe. i rememer he always pitted outside.

wasnt there a story about Fryer having a nitrous bottle in his pants leg??

cya at the races D.

Chuck,

In response to your post about the hotel, engines, etc., There was a great thread on this site before Jason had to reset it and lost all the previous posts. It talked about all this and more, more then you might believe!

TWS was as much about the fun times as the racing.

Maybe Nick will enlighten us about using a bath tub as a parts washer......

this back when Nick and I BOTH had dark hair.

Guest Mary Ann Naumann

Well, I seem to be on a roll today, I usually just read these, but, FYI, Robert Mullins & I were trying to do just what you all are talking about with TWS, yes, I too have great memories of fun family weekends of racing there. Neil Upchurch did an outstanding job of putting together the TROC, we all felt like we were in the big league. That is kinda what sparked the founding of MAN Racing Promotions, those fun family weekends. Robert even went down to check the track out, things were rolling pretty good when he got a response that the Predident of TWS, Dick Conole was not interested in having an event with the use of the grandstands and other facilities that are not normally used anymore. Maybe it has to do with city codes or something. Right now, that track is used for driving schools, car clubs, etc., nothing that pulls a lot of fans, but people having a great time. I too would love to see it come back alive for ROMCO & TSRS. As for the TMS Road Course race, I thought it was great! As a wife & Mother of two drivers headed there June 7th, I would rather see the road course, but as a race fan, they are most likely doing the right thing. After recently taking the Richard Petty Driving Class up there @ TMS, I have a whole new perspective of that track and a whole new respect for the drivers abilities to compete there.

racerboy-

In response to your post above, I don't know for sure, but, when they ran the road course, it was a weekend event with the trucks and other series set up to run strictly on the road course. Yoy may recall the fans they had sat in the back stretch stands. They didn't need the infield for parking, camping, etc.

This event on June 7th is tied with the IRL, and the road course area is infield parking and camping on this weekend. That would be the best guess I have.

Hi Legend,

A little while after I wrote that, I remembered he won that road race up there. Sorry, I'm getting a little old. We were there with a truck, and didn't get much time to hang around the ROMCO guys. We blew an engine while leading the truck race.

I'd like to see another one at TWS. Greg was quick there--I remember a broken header one year cost him a win, maybe a transmission another time.

Chris is automatically a favorite if we ever run up there again.

Too bad Conole won't book one for us.

I think that it would be awsome if ROMCO added a road course i mean You watch practically every other touring series run a road corse y not put one in for romco i think that would be great. Texas World Speedway is an awsome facility to have a road course at.

I remember two years ago when ROMCO raced at the TMS road course and I had a blast just watching the race.

I know that Texas World Speedway would be an awesome track for a road cousre race since there are many different course selections.

I believe that a Road Course race would be great for romco and could even help the series in some ways. But the only problem would be getting poeple in the stands.

Archived