Local Drivers Ready to Rumble at SAS Spring Fling

For Immediate Release:

Terry Barden, (210) 827-4524

LOCAL DRIVERS READY TO RUMBLE AT SAN ANTONIO SPEEDWAY'S "SPRING FLING" RACE

San Antonio, TX (April 26, 2005) - Late Model drivers from all over South Texas are gearing up and ready for this weekend's First Annual Spring Fling 75 race at San Antonio Speedway (SAS) this Saturday night (April 30), starting at 7:00 p.m.

Joining the competition will be two recent NASCAR Late Model feature winners, Joe Aramendia and Robert Barker. Aramendia captured his first 2005 NASCAR Late Model win this past Saturday night, and Barker won the season opener on April 9. Aramendia is already hoping to chalk up another victory at the Spring Fling race. "Thanks to my Mission 'muscle motor,' I was really moving along fast this past Saturday. I was lucky enough to work my way up through the field and stay ahead of Barker," stated Aramendia. He added, "Now I'm ready to win again this Saturday!" Aramendia is relying on help from his sponsors to make it happen - Aramendia Plumbing, Gem Signs, Mission Auto Parts, Southwest Paint & Body and Quality Fasteners.

Drivers can count on a minimum payout of $250 that will be awarded just for starting the race. Since drivers are required to hold a NASCAR license to compete in the San Antonio Speedway classes (NASCAR Late Model, Sportsman, Road Runner and Women on Wheels), their winnings will help with the purchase of the $185 license. The Spring Fling winner will be awarded $1,500.

Several other drivers have alredy committed to run in the 75-lap Spring Fling race, including Allen and Lloyd Alexander, Jamie Fuller, Donny Horelka, Jesse Salazar, Danny Garcia and Kevin Bendele. An open invitation has been made to all drivers in the South Texas area to join these NASCAR Late Model drivers for Saturday’s race. "We want to make this race a big event, for both the drivers and fans," commented Terry Barden, General Manager at San Antonio Speedway.

Also competing at San Antonio Speedway on April 30 will be the fast and exciting Texas Asphalt Modified Series (TAMS), along with the NASCAR Sportsman, Road Runner and Women on Wheels classes. TAMS Founder and Race Director Wayne Norrell, a former racer at San Antonio Speedway, says that his drivers have nothing but praise for the half-mile oval. "What racer doesn’t like to go fast, and San Antonio is the fastest track we get to compete on all season. So our TAMS guys are pumped and ready to put on a show for the SAS fans," said Norrell.

Pit crew members, team owners and fans will not have to purchase a NASCAR license to enter the pits for Saturday's races. The cost for admission into the pits is $20 for NASCAR license holders and $30 for all others.

Pit gates will open this Saturday (April 30) at 2:00 p.m., and qualifying for the NASCAR Late Models and Texas Asphalt Modified Series will begin at 5:00 p.m. Grandstand gates will open at 5:00 p.m., and the first green flag will wave at 7:00 p.m. General Admission is $15, Senior Citizens (ages 65 and over) and Military (with ID) are $8, Children Ages 7-11 are $3, and Children 6 and under are free.

San Antonio Speedway is a half-mile NASCAR-sanctioned oval asphalt track that is located at 14901 State Highway 16 South (Poteet Highway), about 3.5 miles south (outside) of Loop 410. The speedway can be accessed easily by taking IH 35 South and exiting on Highway 16 South (left exit), just past South Park Mall. The race hotline number is (210) 628-1867, and the speedway's website can be found at San Antonio Speedway.

For More Information, Contact:

Debbie Williams, San Antonio Speedway Public Relations, (210) 685-0400 or debwill@sanantoniospeedway.com.

Archived