Hat Drawing

meyerfan

Can someone explain to an old Meyer Speedway fan what the point of drawing from a hat for position is after you qualify for it? I was also told that THR is crutial for getting a good qualifing spot - why risk hard work and MONEY to lose it ?

Do these racers get extra $ for doing this?

No hard feelings just confused -

Guys, it's just a fairly clever version of inverting part of the field to make the race more exciting for spectators. From the drivers' standpoint, any inversion is probably a pain in the rear; you've worked hard for the position and lose it on a toss of the dice or a fan vote or simply the whim of the promoter. The hat trick actually gives you a shot at improving your starting spot, so that's kind of neat.

Besides, any driver who is planning (or even dreaming of) a career beyond the local short track needs a lot of practice passing fast cars, a skill that will serve him (or her) well in the future.

As far as pleasing the crowd goes, the "Double Down" Terry Dickerson is doing works very well. In sports, it's all about heroes, and having someone (not some car, or some anonymous person in a uniform, but some person) to cheer for. If you were at THR on Saturday, you saw Josh Cheek elect to "double down" and go to the rear of the pack. As he began picking off trucks one by one, many people in the crowd (most of whom had never heard of Josh Cheek) were on their feet, shouting, "Go, Cheek."

The double down creates an instant hero, someone to cheer on. If you came to the track for the first time, and didn't know any of the drivers, all of a sudden you've got a reason to cheer. Pretty cool, no?

Ran american race trucks for 2 years. finished 2nd in points in 2001 I believe. Won a race at San Antonio Speedway in the trucks that year as well. Ran with Southern All star trucks for 2 years after that and had several top tens. I believe he took the whole year off last year cause him and his wife had there first baby.

Archived