TSRS press release ...

For immediate release

Ronnie New's dramatic win at SAS almost didn't happen

Ronnie New of Austin won the third-ever Texas Super Racing Series (TSRS) race May 3rd at San Antonio Speedway in dramatic fashion. New, driving the #1 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, passed David Edwards coming out of Turn 4 on the last lap to claim his first-ever TSRS win. It was also the most dramatic series finish to date, and left the race fans at SAS gasping for air.

"That's easily the highlight of my racing career," said New, who has been racing since 1992. "It has to be, especially when we can win on a track we've driven before and pull of win like that. The whole team (Ray Thompson, John Allen, J.R., Mike Dodson and Chris Alford) deserves to share in the win, as well as my family and sponsors."

The Austin resident added, "I've never had a finish like that before; it's definitely the closest finish I've ever had, and it was most enjoyable! But, whether I won or not, I was happy to have that kind of finish for TSRS, especially with this just being the series' third-ever feature race."

New, 29, is supported by his wife, Amber, and his 11-year-old daughter, Kelsey. New's sponsors include Aguirrie Body & Paint, Southside Wrecker and Capital City Imports.

And New, who was Rookie of the Year in the Pure Stock class at the old Longhorn Speedway back in 1992, needed all the support he could get, considering he and his crew worked on the car around-the-clock on Friday night into Saturday morning. "The night before, I put the car into the wall during practice," New revealed. "I was just getting some seat time, because like I said, we had never run at SAS before. Well, the crash did all kinds of damage, so we brought the car back to Austin. We had to replace the entire left-side suspension, some spindles, the A-frame, and we had to put on a new tail section that night, along with a new rear spoiler." New continued, "We left SAS at 7:30 p.m. on Friday night and worked on the car until 4 a.m. on Saturday morning! We then left for San Antonio on Saturday morning at 8 a.m. We were exhausted, to say the least, but our win made it all worth it!"

New's crew obviously knew what they were doing when they repaired the car, as the Austin driver ran second to Edwards for most of the race. New was just waiting for the right moment to try and get by the experienced Edwards, who'd driven SAS most of his career.

"Edwards had a lot of experience on that track, and we knew it," New said. "At one point, I pulled up beside him and I was working to pass him. But, I looked up at the scoreboard and saw there was 54 laps left, so I decided that wouldn't be a good time to pass him since I didn't have the experience on that track. I figured I'd wait until later in the race to try and pass him. "Eventually I saw white flag and made my move. I slipped off of Turn 2, then recovered on the back straight. In Turn 3, I ran it deeper (inside) than normal because my car was handling extremely well. At the center of turn got a run on him, so that coming off of Turn 4 we were door to door. From there, it was a shootout down the front straight, and fortunately I was able to pull ahead of him by the checkered flag."

New added, "I'm very happy with TSRS. We had a great car count at SAS, and the racing was awesome. The series itself is more affordable to run than other series, plus I don't have the week-to-week grind as I would running a regular class at a local track. I'm looking forward to our double-points night on May 30th."

TSRS will host a special "Operation 5-30" (which stands for May 30th) at Thunder Hill Raceway. All military personnel wearing their uniforms will be admitted free, while others who show military ID will be admitted for half-price. TSRS will run a 100-lap, double-points race that night, along with bike rides for kids during the intermission and Kiddie Rides at the end of the night's racing.

Information on the Friday night, May 30th event at Thunder Hill Raceway can be found at www.manracingpromotions.com.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Archived