TAMS at Houston

Guest HMPFlagman

Guest HMPFlagman

Just got in from the racetrack - ok crowd with LOTS of great racing and couldnt have asked for better weather. TAMS put on a great show with 15 car winning. Good car count, great racing all night long. Sorry bout that screw up on the lights at the start though TAMs Drivers! I'm sure nicks report will be much better than mine. I love watching those TAMS cars run though!

I drove home to San Antonio after the race. I'm ready for a nap.. lol.. but, here are the unofficial results. Will post a recap tomorrow...

1. (15) John Heil, Floresville, 50

2. (71) Joey Heinaman, Robstown, 50

3. (48) Chris Swenson, Comfort, 50

4. (75) Matt Brune, Giddings, 50

5. (5) Jerry Schild, Katy, 50

6. (18) Bruce Beddoe, Robstown, 50

7. (6) Jim Myers, Corpus Christi, 50

8. (1) Tim Martin, Amite, LA, 50

9. (03) Matt Merrell, Portland, 50

10. (0) David Sevilla, San Antonio, 50

11. (81) David Machen, Austin, 50

12. (3) Mike Williams, Hockley, 50

13. (19) Marc Madison, Tioga, 49

14. (70) Milton Krauss, Bulverde, 48

15. (65) Gary Junco, Katy, 46

16. (45) Clare Randell, Portland, 46

17. (36) Jason Boyd, Magnolia,45

18. (27) Bob Slezinsky, Beeville, 31

19. (29) Billy Becka, San Antonio, 15

20. (91) Steve Grantz, Aransas Pass, 15

21. (78) Greg Baber, Uvalde, 1

Joey Heinaman led laps 1-23, John Heil led laps 23-50.

Nick Holt

Guest The_Greek
I drove home to San Antonio after the race. I'm ready for a nap.. lol.. but, here are the unofficial results. Will post a recap tomorrow...

1. (15) John Heil, San Antonio, 50

2. (71) Joey Heinaman, Robstown, 50

3. (48) Chris Swenson, Comfort, 50

4. (75) Matt Brune, Giddings, 50

5. (5) Jerry Schild, Katy, 50

6. (18) Bruce Beddoe, Robstown, 50

7. (6) Jim Myers, Corpus Christi, 50

8. (1) Tim Martin, Amite, LA, 50

9. (03) Matt Merrell, Portland, 50

10. (0) David Sevilla, San Antonio, 50

11. (81) David Machen, Austin, 50

12. (3) Mike Williams, Hockley, 50

13. (19) Marc Madison, Tioga, 49

14. (70) Milton Krauss, Bulverde, 48

15. (65) Gary Junco, Katy, (will get the laps for the rest from scoring tomorrow - sorry)

16. (45) Clare Randell, Portland

17. (36) Jason Boyd, Magnolia

18. (27) Bob Slezinsky, Beeville

19. (29) Billy Becka, San Antonio

20. (91) Steve Grantz, Aransas Pass

21. (78) Greg Baber, Uvalde, 1

Joey Heinaman led laps 1-23, Chris Swenson led laps 23-50.

Nick Holt

do you mean John Heil led laps 23-50? it would be hard to win a race finishing 3rd?

Naw.. I left HMP at 11:15 p.m. and pulled into my driveway in NW San Antonio at 2:15 a.m. Not bad time considering I was nodding off part of the time. Thank goodness for those noise grooves they put in the shoulders.

Actually I typed the results with my nose as I dozed off in front of the puter at about 3 a.m. Gave up and went to bed.. LOL

Nick Holt

there was lots of passing by the #5 Jerry Schild!!! he took a challenge to win an extra $1000.00 if he started the race dead last & won -- well he did a great job and worked his way up the field to finish in 5th place!!!!! also, #71 Joey Heinaman started on the pole & led for the first 23 laps before the #15 of John Heil managed to take the lead in lapped traffic ---- so to answer your question, there was LOTS of passing goin on!!!!!

Well hell,I guess I missed another good one.I picked Schild to win.Does this mean if he wasn't so greedy I would have picked the winner?

Let's just say this. Jerry was one of three TAMS drivers that topped the existing track set by Joey Heinaman a couple of years ago. The old record was 14.398 seconds.

Jerry Schild....14.332

Matt Brune....14.341

John Heil.......14.392

In fact the top 10 qualifiers were all within about a half second of each other, so Jerry would have had his hands full if he had started in the sixth postion. Remember, Jerry rolled a "six" on the dice throw, so the sixth place qualifier, Joey Heinaman, actually sat on the pole.

Nick Holt

For those who don't know, Tim Martin won the Modified portion of the Snowball Derby the last two years in Pensacola. Talked to him for awhile Saturday, super nice guy, He is also the son of Tommy Martin. You old timers will remember Tommy running all over the Southeast, also the old All-Pro series.

TxTom,

Tommy Martin has been around racing even longer than you and me! He's one of those names that you kept on reading about in all the racing papers over the years.

Tommy was there serving as his son's crew chief Saturday night. Was a real honor to get to talk with him for a while. As you might guess, he's a really nice guy who has tons of racing stories ready for the telling. It would have been neat if they had been there for the two CCMS rainouts - we could have sat around and bench raced all night.

Tim really has some fine equipment, including a back up car, and he obviously knows what he's doing in a race car. It won't be long before Tim will be running up front with our TAMS front runners.

Nick Holt

It's always awesome to hear about people from out of state running with our locals series.Does anyone know of,or hear of,any other out of staters that are planning to run the texas tracks?I,for one,think the USRA events would be real inviting for people from the neighboring states.I see the series from New Mexico has been hitting the Midland Odessa track.It would be cool if Jay Watson and John David Jr. would run the USRA series instead.Besides location,I wonder what the draw is for them to run out west instead of east.lol...there I go thinking out loud again. :blink:

Nick,

We also chatted with Tommy; him and Lee Machen rattled off about 30 names of drag and oval racers they both knew. We all came up with names and stories we hadn't thought of in years; racers around the Southeast, and tracks that are now memories, like Jackson, Shreveport, Baton Rouge, and so on. Loved his story about New Orleans racer Ray Putnam keeping his gun in his car, and Shreveport flagman Grady Jeter keeping his in the flag box. No love lost there!

Tommy used to partner with Skip Manning, who ran NASCAR briefly. Skip's last ride was the Billy Hagan car that Terry Labonte took over in '78.

By the way, for those interested, (fryarfan)

Tommy said he recently talked with Freddy Fryar, and he is back in North Carolina doing R & D for the Petty's.

Freddy Fryar won the first race I ever saw at SAS.It's been so long ago that it's hard to remember,but I think the four behind him were Jimmy Finger,Rick Rapp,Eddie Bierswhale,and Tommy Davis.I do remember Fryer,because of how it kept coming up in conversations all of the time.lol...orange and 14... ;)

Archived