Big Block Drama

Jamie

What a way to get the season started off by watching a Short Track Super Series race at the legendary Orange County Fair Speedway in Middletown, NY this past weekend. There were multiple engine/weight rules and it played into the outcome of the feature. Brett Hearn lead almost every lap in dominating fashion only to be DQ'd for not "puffing" the engine. He ran his car with tall sail panels which meant he was running a small block and could weigh 2400 lbs(ish). After the "win" the team decided not to show their hand which in turn handed the win to the runner up of Tommy Meier, who was also running a small block. The drama doesn't stop there as there are some grumblings that the series didn't "puff" his engine which has ruffled some feathers. The highest finishing big block was 3rd place of Danny Johnson (awarded 2nd place after DQ); who, by all accounts, was teched along with the 4th and 5th place finishers of the night.

i-vKr6QMB-L.jpg

Brett Hearn was DQ'd for refusing tech (small block)

i-9sJXf4Z-L.jpg

Tommy Meier who crossed 2nd but was awarded the win (small block)

i-VqCTTHs-L.jpg

Danny Johnson finished 2dd and was the highest finishing big block and only one in the top 5

i-hTWgn7j-L.jpg

Mike Ricci finished 4th

i-z9fVxMv-L.jpg

Andy Bachetti finished 5th

We miss you around here, Jamie!

I miss being around there! It was nice to see and photograph some new to me cars, though. The scene is so different up here, it's like night and day.

I remember back in the late 80's they came down to Big H Speedway. I still remember those sounds of those motors!! I remember that those guys from up North was mad about the "red mud" sticking and staining the body panels. I wish the was popular down here. Mean power!!

I remember back in the late 80's they came down to Big H Speedway. I still remember those sounds of those motors!! I remember that those guys from up North was mad about the "red mud" sticking and staining the body panels. I wish the was popular down here. Mean power!!

It was crazy watching the lighter, with bigger sail panel, small blocks run just as good as the BB. Even crazier is they run mufflers on both sides and at speed you couldn't hear a difference in them.

Archived