It's 16 or older at THR from now on...

It is with deep regret that our insurance company has notified Thunder Hill Raceway stating that, "No one under the age of 16 years will be allowed to race the large model cars."

That rule does not apply to the Allison Lone Star Legacys, nor to the Mini-Cups.

However, it does apply to all other classes of cars.

Thunder Hill Raceway officials have attempted to find another insurance company, but all of them have applied the same ruling.

Jon Sagester

Thunder Hill Raceway

i know brian has no control over this and i am in no way blaming anyone at thr but this really sucks for kyle sirrizotti. i just hope he gets to run at another track in his late model to gain some experience in the bigger cars for 2006. i dont care what his age i would probably rather be running against him than some of the other people in the series.

my little brother started racing (and whooping our a$$es) 3 weeks before his 14th birthday,in full sized cars....the issue here should be that these younger guys are taught to have respect for their equipment at an earlier age , and learn more responsebility at 18 than some us do by 30...but what do i know i'm not an insurance kinda guy....

I agree,

I have raced along side Kyle.....and legacy47..

I never gave it a second thought..

when I'm racing around the track with both of them, I don't think about the age factor. I am watching them just like I watch every other driver I am racing with.

without hesitation, I would race along side those two at any race - at any track.... and never give it a second thought.

Tom

• 5 weeks later...

Man, that does hurt the younger drivers, but the drivers are not the first concern of the insurance companies. They, like all corporations, look at everything through spreadsheets.

Now, I have to admit, when I read the title, my heart sank. I thought the post had to do with minors in the pits period. Most of my races will be at THR this year, and my kids are my pit crew. I came back to racing as a way that we as a family could spend quality time together. Last year, SAS didn't allow minors under 16 in the pits, and I am hoping that changes this year with the new management, as this is a family sport!!

Lloyd

TPS #19

I dont understand why the insuance companies wont allow them to race. If Im correct the parents sign a release which lets the insuance companies off the hook. As many of you know, I lost my right leg just below the knee many years ago in a M/C accident. I bet the insuance companies would let me drive. The system is messed up. These young drivers started out racing very young and have gained alot of experince (SP) and respect. They are very qualifed to race. Their parents wouldnt let them it they werent. I hope this get resolved soon so that our up and coming stars of our sport can do us proud. JMO

I dont understand why the insuance companies wont allow them to race. If Im correct the parents sign a release which lets the insuance companies off the hook. As many of you know, I lost my right leg just below the knee many years ago in a M/C accident. I bet the insuance companies would let me drive. The system is messed up. These young drivers started out racing very young and have gained alot of experince (SP) and respect. They are very qualifed to race. Their parents wouldnt let them it they werent. I hope this get resolved soon so that our up and coming stars of our sport can do us proud. JMO

Insurance companies simply look at the their books and figure out where they are spending money on claims and place higher premiums on those categories. Evidently the money insurance companies spend to settle claims made by families of children under 16 are very high.

This makes sense when you really think about it. There are some parents who deny that their kid could ever be a fault for anything They tend to blame everyone and anyone else for their kid's failure and sue the crap out of anything that moves should their kid get hurt. I know that's not true in Kyle's case, but evidently the insurance records speak for themselves.

On the other hand, most of us who are a little older (cough, cough) know and accept the risks involved when we climb into a race car. If we get hurt we just move on without blaming everything in sight.

Obviously, each track has to determine what level of insurance coverage meets their needs. If the premium for insuring children under age 16 puts that coverage out of a particular track's economic reach, then the youngsters don't get to race.

Unfortunately, it's just the way it is.

Nick Holt

• 1 month later...

Tommy, the word in the pits at his first late model race was the his family purchased their own policy to cover him and satisfy the requirements of the track.

Certainly nothing official, but that is what several people had heard. I hope Kyle does well. It seems like his family/race team run their operation very professionally and are certainly for real.

Archived