Fred Elbel, Sr. Passes

see86go

I just learned that my uncle, Fred Elbel, Sr., passed away this morning at his home near Boerne, TX. He was suffering from cancer, and had a tough time recently, so he is in a better place now.

Services are pending, I will post the info when it is available.

As many of you know, Fred Elbel, Sr. was a long-time racer in the South Texas area. If any of you have a copy of the book, "The History of America's Speedways," there is a picture of him in his old roadster at the original Devil's Bowl in the Texas tracks section.

Many of you found the old pics of him I have up on my website, www.craigschmidtracing.com , and I really appreciated the get well messages you sent a couple of months ago, and forwarded them to him and the family. Look for a more in-depth page about him soon.

Craig Schmidt

see86go

www.craigschmidtracing.com

An excerpt from his obituary, written by one of his sons, Ed:

"Fred was an avid fisherman and hunter; but after Wanda, his greatest love was automobile racing. He built, sponsored and drove his own car, usually using the number 20. He won many local track championships in the late '40s and set numerous track records some of which were never broken. He raced at Roosevelt Racetrack, The Devil's Bowl, The Spillway, Shadowland (Now Roaring Twenties), 'Old Pan American' and many more throughout South Texas. He competed at the New Pan American for over a decade where he won many races and had countless faithful fans. In lieu of flowers, Fred requested donations to Cancer Research and Therapy. A Rosary will be held at the Croft Funeral Home (830-833-4523) in Blanco, TX at 7:00 P.M. on Wednesday. Services to be held at 10:00 A.M. Thursday at St. Ferdinand's Catholic Church, Blanco, TX. CROFTS FUNERAL HOME Blanco, TX 78606 (830) 833-4523."

Thanks for all the kind notes we have received, and I will make sure they are forwarded to the Elbels.

Craig Schmidt

see86go

www.craigschmidtracing.com

Archived