Casey Smith

tooltime34

Anyone who talks about what they've got in the works in racing before the contracts are signed is an idiot.

This is a cutthroat business, and your competition will try to steal your sponsors every chance they get. What's worse, they tend to go after the same sponsors who are already involved in racing, rather than try to break some new ground, and get some new sponsors in the sport.

(I was in the office of one local sponsor recently, and he pointed to about a dozen sponsorship requests on his desk, noting that those were just the ones that had come in that week.)

I think Casey does have something working other than selling his ASA stuff, as some people are planning to run a new series in the midwest for those same cars (check 51sportsracing.com), but the Smiths ain't talking until they have something to talk about.

They also aren't the only ones with deals pending...

Nick, I don't know if Casey has a new sponsor or not, I just know they are still working on something. I was speaking generally about chasing sponsors someone else already has, or about trying to get in ahead of them when you hear they are already working a deal. When it comes to trying to get money, racers sometimes aren't any more ethical than anyone else.

It's also a bad idea to try to "steal" sponsors because it tends to irritate the sponsor, maybe to the point of deciding this "racing thing" isn't worth their time at all.

When you were working for the newspaper, I'm sure you had the experience of doing a story on one driver, then having others complain either to you or to your boss because you didn't do a story on them, even though you might not have ever heard of the complaining drivers.

Along that line, the Fox channel in Austin did a nice job on the dirt track in Killeen the last couple of weeks. Funny, though. That wasn't their first choice. They were unable to contact their first choice...

• 4 weeks later...

Check out his website for the latest.

http://www.caseysmithonline.com/News_Off_S...te_3_17_05.html

I wonder why we don't receive these press releases on Texas Speedzone? Chris Davidson also has several releases on his web site.

http://www.turnermotorsportsonline.com/

Maybe it's for the national audience, because we should know these things being from Texas.

I'm a big fan of our Texas racer's and like to stay informed of future plans or big races they are planning on racing. I only hope for the best for our fellow Texan's.

Archived