Need Help with dodge & ford junk

missmindy29

I purchased a 1988 dodge 4x4 pickup, I need to know where I can find a vacumm line schematic. I looked in Chiltons... that book only confuses me... (and I'm not blonde) If anyone knows where I can get the info please let me know.

At the same time I purchased a 1989 Mer. Cougar 3.8 with supercharger... needs a brake booster but one fellow I spoke to says buy the whole ABS system and replace it one says just replace the booster... Any info on the subject would help.

Basicilly I need a mechanic who will come to my house and work on my car/truck, perhaps one who is reliable, but also one who will not poke my eyes out when they give me thier bill!

Melinda ( Mindy)

The best vacuum schematic is usually the one under the hood.. Barring that, late 80's vehicles are better than earlier years, at least if it is injected. If carb fed, good luck but common sense and some idea of the systems generally run by vacuum will get most of it.

For the booster, for most true ABS systems the master cylinder and booster are integral parts of the total ABS - in other words it is hard to seperate the two. Your choices are to replace the whole system (expensive), replace just the booster (and hope that was the problem) or replace the system with a non-ABS master cylinder and booster (you loose the ABS but it is a cheap reliable fix).

Good Luck,

Jack

Thanks for the info, there was a small engine fire on the last engine that was in the dodge so most of the info under the hood I cannot read. But the guy at the Carquest says he can make sense of it, so problem solved for the dodge.

As far as the ford goes... lol... I just dont know... I think I am just plain crazy for buying a ford... lol

but alls well that ends.

My REAL car is a Chevy! whoo hoo!

I live in LaVernia, and think I have found a mechanic who is willing to come work on the ford and possibly the dodge. So thanks for your info...

Melinda (Mindy)

To each his own.. My only Generic Motors experience recently is my wifes Buick. It's OK for what it is but at 70,000 miles it uses more oil than my Ford truck with 220,000 (about a quart every 1500 for the GM, a quart every 2500 for the Ford).. THe Expedition I traded for the Buick didn't use any at 118,000.

Archived