Bankston ready for USRA Truck season

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE-Feb. 1, 2004

Chuck Licata, 903.576.4144

Bankston ready for 2005 season as USRA Trucks Race Director

Glen "Bubba" Bankston has been involved in the local racing scene for just four years, yet the 27-year old certainly hit the "fast lane" in his administrative career.

Bankston was named as Race Director for the USRA Truck series back on Jan. 8; he will report to USRA Race Director Terry Barden.

Bankston first hit the local race scene in Memphis (TN) when he climbed into the cockpit of a late model. "We didn't get into five races that year, but it was a good starting point," Bankston recalled. "The next year, we bought the car and fixed it up ourselves. I ran the full year in the late models class and ended up in the top-five in the points championship."

Bankston continued his short driving career in 2001 in a late-model touring class in Tennessee, as he finished up his time at the University of Tennessee. "We had a good season that year, finishing third in the points chase," Bankston stated. "I also got a chance to run some trucks in Virginia, Kentucky and Alabama that year. It was a good education to run in the trucks series."

The native of Brady (TX) then moved to San Marcos late in 2001 and saw his life change in two ways. First, he hooked up with an old family friend - Thunder Hill Raceway flagman Randy Hubbard - who invited him to come out to a race at THR. "I was hooked right then by what I saw," Bankston said. "I went back for another week and started working right away at the track as an official."

At the same time, Bankston met his wife, Aimee, in San Marcos.

Bankston worked at Thunder Hill until the 2004 season, when he became the Race Director and Flagman for the Lone Star Region of the AllStar Race Truck Series (ARTS). He was also the Technical Director for the Texas Asphalt Modified Series (TAMS) the same year.

Bankston is looking forward to his new role with USRA. "I'm very excited about the series," Bankston declared. "I have been hearing very good things from drivers, team owners and fans of both the USRA Super Late Models and Trucks. I see what Terry Dickerson, Terry Barden and Chuck Licata and other USRA staff members are doing. They're out hustling and working hard to make USRA a success. Everyone's commitment is definitely there and I can't see a reason why this year won't be a huge success."

"We took a look at a lot of candidates for this position, and we felt Bubba was the best candidate for the job," said Terry Barden. "The truck drivers we talked to had a lot of respect for him and that went a long way with us. I was worried the addition of the Trucks series was going to put another big load on us but with Bubba in his position, we're very confident. I know we won't have to worry about that series with Bubba on board; he knows the trucks he better than we do."

Bankston added, "I feel confident we'll exceed all truck counts for the races we ran last year. I'm looking forward to working with Terry Barden this year; he's very knowledgeable and is respected highly by his peers. Overall, I'm ready for the first race. There's a wave of excitement about this racing season."

Archived