CARS Tour at Hickory Motor Speedway this weekend

CARS Tour Event Preview powered by KRC Power Steering: Catawba Valley 250-Hickory Motor Speedway - 7PM May 9, 2015

MOORESVILLE, NC (May 5, 2015): Hickory Motor Speedway will play host to race three of the CARS Tour 2015 season schedule this weekend. The racing the abrasive track surface produces often sees participants in both Late Model Stock and Super Late Model competition battle side-by-side for position making it a “must see” race for any fan. So far the large car counts and quality of racing have made headlines for the new tour. Saturday night’s Catawba Valley 250 at the famed .363 mile track should be no exception. Considered a “home track” for several on the tour, all the ingredients are in place for the young tour’s largest turnout yet. Making the show could be the first step for drivers, while the second step, tire conservation and knowing when to make a run to the front, will determine who celebrates with a bottle of champagne in Edelbrock Victory Lane.

Catawba Valley 250 NOTES & QUOTES

NOTES:

Track/Location: Hickory Motor Speedway-Newton, NC

Track Size: .363
Event Name: Catawba Valley 250

Laps/Distance: 125/45.4 miles (each)
Event Schedule: 12:30PM-2:45PM Practice, 4:30PM Qualifying, 6PM Last Chance Races, 7PM Green: SLM-LMSC
Twitter Handle/Event Hashtag: @CARSTour / @hickoryspeedway / #CatawbaValley250

CARS SLM Tour Pre Entered Drivers: #00 Lucas Ransone, #2R Clay Rogers, #2V DJ VanderLey, #4 Brandon Lynn, #5D Dominique Van Wieringen, #6 Brandon Setzer, #7 Tyler Church, #7R Casey Roderick, #8 David Garbo Jr, #9 William Byron, #9E Chase Elliott, #14D Chris Davidson, #16 Lucas Jones, #17 Quinn Houff, #25 Stephen Leicht, #29 Anderson Bowen, #29W Matthew Wragg, #31 Kyle Grissom, #40 Grant Galloway, #47 Chris Fontaine, #51 Kaz Grala, #51N Stephen Nasse, #56 Gus Dean, #57 Cole Timm, #66 Steve Wallace, #67 Clay Jones, #74 Preston Peltier, #77 Zane Smith, #98 Daniel Hemric (29 total)

CARS LMSC Tour Pre Entered Drivers: #08 Deac McCaskill, #07 Clint King, #00 Shane Lee, #1 Trent Barnes, #1W Dylon Wilson, #2 Myatt Snider, #4P Kyle Plott, #7 Justin Crider, #12C Garrett Campbell, #12M Austin McDaniel, #16 Jeff Oakley, #16S RD Smith, #17 Stacy Puryear, #21 Eric Gerchak, #23 Donnie Puryear Jr, #23R Payton Ryan, #27 Tommy Lemons Jr, #28 Chris Hudspeth, #31 Thomas Beane, #41 Brayton Haws, #42 Craig Stallard, #54 Michael Fose, #58 Tyler Ankrum, #59 Roddey Sterling, #60 Stacy Compton, #63 Christian PaHud, #77 Blake Stallings, #88 Chris Davis, #88D Doug Barnes Jr, #88T Robert Tyler, #98 Stefan Parsons, #98G Todd Gilliland, #99 Mike Darne (33 total)

***Official Entry Deadline Not Until Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 4PM***

Media Coverage:
-Speed51 (speed51.com) will provide LIVE Trackside Now Live Updates
-RACEFEEDX (www.racefeedx.com) – LIVE Pay per View Video Coverage
-CARS Tour Facebook (facebook.com/CARSTour) and Twitter (@CARSTour)
-Race 22 (race22.com) will provide LIVE Twitter Updates (@race22)

QUOTES:

New Faces Coming Out at Hickory:

The famed Hickory Motor Speedway is known far and wide amongst competitors as a favorite to compete at. This couldn’t be truer as several new faces will be in attendance as the tour sweeps into town on May 9th for the third race of the season. One of those newbies to the tour will be Preston Peltier. While he knows his way around Hickory having won seven events behind the wheel of a Super Late Model; Peltier understands some of the challenges that lie ahead this weekend.

“We went and tested, which is something I’m glad I did, and learned a lot that will help us for this weekend’s race. Getting use to the new American Racer tire was the biggest challenge for me. But I think we’ll be in the mix; it’s just something new I’ll have to get used to. The tire is the same for everyone, and as a racer it’s my job to adjust and adapt. I’m really looking forward to racing with the CARS Tour. The competition level entered is pretty stout, so it should make for a great race Saturday night for all the fans.” #74 Preston Peltier-Hamke Racecar and Parts/AR Bodies Ford Super Late Model

Adding to Hickory’s Honorable History:

Any person who walks up to the main ticket booth at Hickory Motor Speedway will see the track’s “wall of fame” enshrining those who have raced, won, and otherwise been successful not only at the facility itself, but the upper echelons of the sport – Jarrett, Houston, Earnhardt, Gant, Petty, Isaac, Roberts, Baker and so many more. One of the names is former NASCAR Xfinity Series and Truck Series star Dennis Setzer. His son Brandon is entered into the event this weekend and would love nothing more than to add to his family’s legacy at the facility.

“This race would be the biggest win of my career, for sure. I’ve raced Hickory a lot growing up in the lower divisions and had a lot of fun at that place. It would be very special to get my first super late model win in front of the hometown fans, along with my friends and family. One of the key things to look for, in my opinion, is seeing how the drivers fare who have been very successful early in the year, like Bell and Pollard, but don't have much experience at Hickory. It will be interesting to see how they will stack up with the racers like me, Tyler Church, Cole Timm and Kyle Grissom who have raced there. And Chase Elliott is always fast when he jumps into the supers as well. I remember watching him go very well around Hickory a few years back. The fans are going to get their money’s worth, that's for sure. I expect it to be the strongest field in both the late model and the supers yet. I just hope we can come out on top. That would be huge.” -- No. 6 Brandon Setzer – Romeo Guest Construction / Jewelry Exchange Ford Super Late Model

Track Champion Perspective:

Austin McDaniel is a two-time track champion at Hickory in the Late Model Stock Cars, a division the track runs weekly as their premier class. A CARS Tour regular so far this season, McDaniel has had top-10 runs at both events but bad luck has kept him from finishing either race in a position equal to the speed of his racecar. At a track so many drivers love, but few are able to master, McDaniel thinks he knows the secrets to winning at the famed bullring.

“I think the biggest struggle (for drivers) is how unique the track is compared to others. With short straightaways and the fact you're constantly turning, things happen really fast. It's easy to get caught up in things in front of you. Getting the car to turn and be able to turn under people to make passes is a very big thing. I think that's why first timers struggle because the track is so different from the others. Each turn has its own characteristics and it takes a while to get them down pat. So fans can expect lots of side-by-side racing. As the race goes on, cars will be able to move up the track and run the top and still be fast. With the tight corners, the racing will be very close and aggressive. As a competitor, you expect side-by-side racing. You don't have to be afraid about running the top because there's plenty of grip up there. To win, you will have to keep your nose clean and stay on your toes because you can run into the back of someone quickly if they check up. I think the winning car will be able to turn really well in the center of the corner, and still keep the back tires under it on the exit of the corner. It would be such a great win for me and my team to win at our home track. I'm happy the Tour comes to Hickory and think it will be a great show. The competition will be tough but hopefully we can use our experience there to our advantage.” – No. 12M Austin McDaniel – HendrickCars.com Chevrolet Late Model Stock Car

For more information and to stay up with all the latest news and information about the CARS Tour, featuring both Late Model Stock Car and Super Late Model divisions, visit www.carsracingtour.com or contact the tour’s office directly at 704-662-9212. Stay social with the tour by “liking” the CARS Tour Facebook page and following along on Twitter @CARSTour.

Archived