Short Track-Short Stick

NeilTPS

I am on vacation in Palm Desert, California. They place a USA Today at our door each morning. In the Sports Section, on page 5C of the 1/26/04 issue I read with interest what "Humpy Wheeler" has to say about the current situation regarding short track racing in America.

Since a great deal of discussion on this subject has recently seen print in TSZ, I thought it should be copied and posted.

Neil Upchurch

Short-track races getting short stick

By Gary Graves, USA TODAY (January 26, 2005)

CHARLOTTE — As big as Nextel Cup racing has become, Humpy Wheeler is concerned that the appeal is coming at the expense of one of its feeder levels.

That means short-track racing, which the president/general manager of Lowe's Motor Speedway said Tuesday must change its business model to avoid decline. Earlier this month the IPower Dash Series ceased operations, and the cash-strapped American Speed Association (ASA) recently sold its West Coast truck series.

Without cost containment, Wheeler fears that Saturday night races might become extinct.

"Short-track racing's in terrible shape," Wheeler said during NASCAR's annual media tour. "I love short tracks; I think they're great. But I think we're frozen in the '70s. We've got disco clothes on, and the folks down the street are at Saks with the new stuff."

Wheeler said the growth of NASCAR has "cannibalized" short-track racing and the popularity of that and monster trucks demonstrates an entertainment value missing at the small tracks where many Cup drivers learned their trade. The few thriving tracks do so with creative promotions, and doing things such as creating "villain" cars for fans to root against could help boost interest.

That led to a laundry list of improvements for the sport in general, including more driver access and lowering operating costs that translate to the consumer. He also suggested an occasional Monday or midweek race as a diversion from a crowded weekend sports schedule.

A Short Track Racing Summit, made up of a coalition of weekly racing speedway operators, will reconvene in February in Daytona Beach, Fla., during Speedweeks that open the racing season. The group was formed in December in Las Vegas.

Wheeler also left no doubt where a proposed stock car Hall of Fame should be. Kansas City and Atlanta have been mentioned as possible homes, but he said any discussions should begin and end with

Charlotte. "This is where it started, this is where the peach basket was put up in 1949," he said. "This is Grand Central Station. There needs to be something to pull in (tourists). I think we have a great chance to get it".

Crystal already told me I was...well actualy she said &%$$^ , you sorry &%^%^*$ and your a %$#@%^... so I just took that to mean I was the villian...maybe I misunderstood...and by the way, what's a *%%%$#* anyway?

PS - Thanks for the post Neil...Interesting...

On a serious note, I have an interview with Humpy Wheeler from, I think, Circle Track a few years back in which he predicts the future of short track racing will be Legends-type cars and full-bodied karts on short (one-quarter and one-fifth mile) ovals due to both car costs and the cost of building and running a track.

On that subject, one thing that seems to be getting overlooked is, "Where are we going to get the next generation street and hobby stock cars?" Obviously, we'll first reduce the allowed wheelbase, but then what? Allow cars to be converted from front-wheel drive to rear drive?

I don't have any answers, but we'd better come up with some.

It seems what Humpy says is needed at the short track level is already being done in Corpus. We got the villians & heros, and Owen and Doc are always trying to bring in new and exciting promotions each year.

Good job Korpus Krew, way to git-r-done.

Keep it up!

Mel

Archived