Header Gaskets

thr_spectator

If you are running a CHEVY-go buy two sets of stock manifold gaskets, glue the paper side together, install em metal side out on both side's-won't leak and can use em over and over and over- cheap too!

Also get a straight edge-check your flange to make sure it's true first, or no gasket will survive.

I second that on the stock gaskets, also you mat want to check to see if the headers are warped. if they are a older set of headers it could be possible. as long as i don't have to pull the header off during the season i have gone all year on a set of gaskets, do a bolt check often and when you tighten them start in the center and work your way out. good luck!! :D

You may want to put a small beed of Copper silicone on both sides of your header gasket.

it is a little messy at first , but it works like a charm everytime.

The copper melts and conforms to the surface even if the headers are abit warped.

Jusst an idea. It works for me.

Bryan Lane

1. After you torque the bolts the first time, heat cycle the engine and torque them again. You may need to tighten them a couple of times over the first week but eventually you will get the gasket compressed fully and they will quit moving.

2. Make sure the rest of the exhaust system is supported well under the car. The headers should only have to suport themselves, not the rest of the pipe and muffler.

Stock gaskets (metal/paper) work as well or better than the all paper ones that usually come with the header - if the bolts don't loosen up. If the bolts loosen up, no gasket will survive long..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived