2015 Lone Star Legacy rules

NickHolt

We are working on the 2015 Lone Star Legacy rules this week but we have no significant rules changes in the works.

A couple of things you should be aware of though:

1) Due to the large volume of pre-2014 Goodyear Legacy tires still in circulation, we will be allowing those to be grandfathered into the 2015 season like they were in 2014. Folks have reported that the Goodyears are plenty fast even though the are a few years old. Frankly, we would still be on that tire if Goodyear still made them, but, sadly, they don't.

2) James, Bob Riley and I are looking at clarifying the cam rule. There are cams out there that are apparently listed as a stock replacement part for the 2200 Legacy engine, so we would like to eliminate that grey area. As it was in 2014, the tool James uses to measure the cams will be used in 2015 and all cams must meet the template. Our problem has been in specifying exactly the specs are on that cam and Bob has volunteered to help define those spec to prevent confusion.

3) There may be a few spots in the rules that will be re-worded to fix grammar errors, typos, etc. If we discover any spots that seem to be of any significance, we will let y'all know here in the LSSZ forum.

If you have any questions about the rules, please call James Huff.

Thanks.

Nick

Just a suggestion on tires.....the Hoosier 10051-sportsman compound is a full racing slick that's a little softer. Would be cool to do some testing on it in the offseason. It also provides the correct 8 inch track width rather than the 6.6 inch track width we've been running on an 8 inch rim. Just a suggestion.

Just a suggestion on tires.....the Hoosier 10051-sportsman compound is a full racing slick that's a little softer. Would be cool to do some testing on it in the offseason. It also provides the correct 8 inch track width rather than the 6.6 inch track width we've been running on an 8 inch rim. Just a suggestion.

Here is pertinent portion of the wheel rule:

1. Wheels - Only 13” diameter by 7” wide double-centered steel Diamond or Broad Wheels with 3 ½” offset and one standard valve stem are permitted. Wheels must remain stock and cannot be altered or tampered with in any way.

So, the legal wheel is not an 8 inch wheel. It's a 7 inch wheel.

Also, the Hoosier that is currently legal is a 7 inch tire. Yes, I know you can measure tires in different ways, but the tire is listed by Hoosier as a 7 inch tire.

James and I spend a good deal of time researching the tires once we learned that Goodyear was stopping making the tire the Legacys had been using for several years. We wanted to make sure that the tire we chose was:

1) as close a possible to the circumference of the Goodyear;

2) similar in terms of compound to the Goodyear;

3) as inexpensive as possible.

The Hoosier we selected was the best compromise we could come up with.

The cars might be faster on 8 inch slicks, but we wanted to keep the rules as close to the original Allison rules as possible so that teams that had Legacys sitting on jackstands didn't have to go out and buy a bunch of new stuff to meet the rules.

I gotta admit that I like the old Goodyears a whole lot better than the Hoosiers, but we're allowing the old Goodyears to be grandfathered in again in 2015 which should help keep the expenses down a bit for those that have a supply.

Nick

Archived