Nick's chassis seminar in CC?

Jason

If he held a suspension seminar in Corpus would anyone be interested? Here is his post about the one for Austin. Count me in but we need more to make it happen.

I have been asked to conduct my Suspension Seminar for Austin area racers, crew members and others interested in learning the prinicples of racing suspension engineering. I'm pleased to announce that the details for the six-week course have been worked out.

First off, please understand that this is not a "trick of the week" sort of deal. Check out the list below to get a feel for the scope of the course. You may have read articles or tech books about many of these subjects, but I explain each concept in words that we all can understand and relate what we are learing to an example car that we follow throughout the course.

Among the Many Topics Covered:

- Weight Distribution and Weight Transfer

- Vertical Weight Transfer verses Lateral Weight Transfer

- Instant Centers, Roll Centers and the All-Important Moment Arm

- Why is this Moment Arm is So Important? The Real Secret to Fast Cars

- Body Roll and Jacking Effect - How Much Body Roll is Too Much?

- Spring, Shock and Sway Bar Selection

- Suspension Geometry

- Camber and Camber Gain - How to Use a Pyrometer Correctly

- Caster and Caster Gain - How Does Caster Work and How Much do I Need?

- KPI and the Positive Scrub Radius

- Toe, Ackerman Steering, Bump-Steer and Roll-Steer - How to String a Car

- Anti-Dive, Pro-Dive and Anti-Squat - Do I Need Any? How does it work?

- How to String a Race Car

- Handling Issues

- Oversteer (Loose), Understeer (Push) and Neutral Conditions

- Conventional verses Big Bar/Soft Spring setups - Which Works Best?

- Cross (Diagonal) Weight - Conventional / Big Bar Setups Use Different Amounts

- Tire Stagger, Tire Pressures and Tire Adjustments

- How to Read Tire Temperatures - When Should I Take Tire Temps?

- How to Make Suspension Adjustments - A Handling Chart you Can Actually Use

- Roll-Couple Distribution - Huh?

During every class I hand out notes that cover a good portion of the subject matter discussed in class, usually between 60-80 pages. I also provide computer programs to help with some of the math for those of us who don't do well in that area.

When: The Last Two Thursdays in Jan and Every Thursday in Feb from 7:00¡V10:00 p.m.

Where: Texas Events Center, Kyle, Texas - In front of Thunder Hill Raceway on IH 35

Cost: $300 per Participant

I keep the class size small and these seminars usually fill up fairly quickly. So, let me know as soon as you know that you plan to attend.

If you do plan to attend, email Nick Holt at cnholt@sbcglobal.net or call me at (210) 690-8564 so I can save you a spot.

Nick Holt

Jason,

Buy a book for about $50.00 and you will have it to refer back to forever.

Actually, Shrimpy, Steve Smith Autosports books cost less than $50. From what I understand, they have some pretty good information in them. If reading books gives you the information you need, go for it.

My guess is, though, that not everyone in the CC area has put the whole suspension package together yet. If you have, however, that's great. You have no need to attend. See ya in victory lane!

And I'm sure there are others. like j.j.&s.racing, who see little need for suspension knowledge. In my mind, however, those people running in classes that have very few suspension adjustments are the very people who should be attending this seminar.

Either way, that's OK because I don't enjoy shoving unwanted suspension engineering information down anyone's throat. I do, howver, enjoy teaching the principles of suspension engineering to folks who really want to learn and aren't afraid to go faster next season than last.

P.S. Shrimp - If you're into books and learn best from written material, I hand out between 60 and 80 pages of class notes during the seminar.

Nick Holt

Nick sounds great! I will let people that do not get on here know about it.

Shrimp can not read he is just trying to convince himself that he can. I will not even go into the JJ&S thing. :lol:

LOL Owen..

For whatever reason, I haven't had much of a response out of the CC area drivers and teams. If we're going to get a seminar going before racing season starts we'll need to move quickly.

Nick Holt

Owen -- A dozen would be the magic number!

Steve -- LOL.. A course in suspension engineering is not for everyone, that's for sure. The only people I really want coming to the seminar are those that really have a desire to learn about suspension engineering. I don't do any "trick of the week" crap and I don't do any "one size fits all" stuff either. I teach the suspension engineering principles that apply to virtually any racing vehicle.

Cars that run in classes that allow very few, if any, suspension adjustments still have "shop wrecks." And if a team knows the principles working in their race car they can have shop wrecks that put things in a better direction than they were before. That's not cheating. That's no different than buying a car from a junk yard that has been bent.

Anyway, as far as editing what I have to say, I welcome questions during the class sessions and during the week over the phone. But I do not wear my TSZ or TTOPA hats when doing suspension stuff so questions about either of those two areas are not appropriate during class.

And since the cost seems to be an obstacle, what if I offered to let you (and any other CC student) pay over time? Since I have never done the seminar in CC before, that might make it easier for some to see their way clear to attend.

Nick Holt

Archived