NASCAR Season Championships on the line this Saturday at HMP

NickHolt

NASCAR Season Championships on the line this Saturday at Houston Motorsports Park

Houston, TX (October 22, 2014) – It’s now or never for several drivers in Houston Motorsports Park’s top two NASCAR-sanctioned racing divisions as the 2014 NASCAR stock car racing season roars to a close this Saturday at the immaculate, 3/8-mile concrete/asphalt oval known as the “Palace of Power.”

With double features and double points up for grabs during the “BWFS Industries NASCAR Night” program, just who will earn the coveted NASCAR Fiesta Modified and the NASCAR BWFS Coke Truck titles are very much in doubt.

"This is our last race meet of the 2014 NASCAR season and it should be a great show," said HMP owner and General Manager Graham Baker. "We've got double features for all the HMP regular classes plus two of the most exciting touring series in Texas – the Texas Asphalt Limited Modified Series (TALMS) and the Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas (DCRST) - coming our way this Saturday.”

NASCAR Fiesta Modified driver Zach Knowles, 24, has a slim 11-point lead over Michael Kourkoubes, 25, and a 17-point advantage over perennial HMP track champion Joe Aramendia, 51, going into the finale. And Knowles figures he has the plan to ice the title.

“I’m going to show no mercy and go out there and win both races and don’t’ look back,” the Houston native said. “We’ve run well all season and it all boils down to maintaining the car so when I’m running up front I don’t have a failure.”

Michael Kourkoubes, on the other hand, says he’s got it figured.

“The plan is to keep Zach (Knowles) and Joe (Aramendia) both behind me,” the former HMP Eco Stock champion from Conroe, Texas, said. “After Knowles drops his lowest points race, I am only two points behind. So, all I have to do is keep him behind me by one spot in both features Saturday night. There are several different scenarios that could come into play with Joe, but I know if he is behind me that I won’t have to worry about it.”

But Aramendia says they are both dead wrong.

“I am going to win both features, you can count on that,” a confident Aramendia predicted. “When you call me Sunday morning you will be talking to the 2014 NASCAR Fiesta Modified champion.”

Without a doubt stock car racing fans will be treated to some intense NASCAR Fiesta Modified racing Saturday night.

The NASCAR BWFS Coke Trucks are likewise embroiled in a three-way battle for the championship with Charles Evans, Jr, holding a not-too-comfortable 37-point lead over David Webster and a 47-point advantage over Mason Teague.

Although both Evans and Teague have mathematical shots the title, they will have to pull out all the stops in their twin feature races Saturday to claim the crown.

In the new NASCAR AMCAR division David Webster has a lock on the title.

Also competing in double features are the HMP Eco Stocks, Legends and Bandoloes.

In addition, the cars and stars of the Texas Asphalt Limited Modified Series (TALMS), one of the fastest-growing Texas touring series, will be competing in the 40-lap “Space City Shootout presented by All State Gear.”

With two races to go in their 2014 Championship season, the series has seen six different drivers winning the first seven races. The only multiple race winner is the series points leader, Joey Heinaman of Corpus Christi, Texas. Heinaman has a 16-point lead over Tanner Whitmire of Taft, Texas.

“We have had a great interest in the Space City Shootout Presented by All State Gear and I think that we’ll have one of our biggest car counts of the season,” said TALMS Series Director Cody Beddoe. “I have taken several calls from new drivers wanting base line set ups for the track. Houston Motorsports Park is one of the premiere racing facilities in the country and I think this will be one of the most successful and entertaining races in the history of the TALMS series.”

Also on tap are two heat races and a 25-lap feature event for the he Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas (DCRST) teams. The 1930s-style DCRST cars race on both Texas asphalt and dirt tracks and always put on an entertaining, highly-competitive show.

The main spectator gates at the Northeast Houston speed plant will open at 4 pm while the NASCAR Stock Car racing gets underway promptly at 5 pm. The well-run NASCAR-sanctioned program normally takes the last checkered flag by 10 pm, or shortly thereafter.

Admission is $12 for adults, while children 12 and under are admitted without charge. Add the low admission price together with the $1 cokes, $1 hot dogs & $1 beer prices and you have an inexpensive, yet very exciting, night out for the whole family – NASCAR style!

Houston Motorsports Park is located at 11620 North Lake Houston Parkway in Northeast Houston.

The HMP information hotline is 281-458-1972. The HMP email address is events@houstonmotorsportspark.com and the information hotline is 281-458-1972.

For more information about Houston Motorsports Park and Saturday’s “NASCAR Double Feature Night” visit www.houstonmotorsportspark.com or look us up on Facebook at facebook.com/houstonracing.

Archived