Points leaders show the way at Plymouth Speedway

NickHolt

Points Leaders Show the Way at Plymouth Speedway

by Anita Soltis

It was a hot night of racing at Plymouth Speedway Saturday night with the points leaders showing what they do best - win.

Pole-sitter Michael Clark dominated the Super Streets feature at the Playground of Power, but not before several cautions started the feature. Clark was able to keep out front with every restart. Bob McLean kept up with him for most of the race, but got into the wall on lap 11 and couldn’t turn his car. He would end up in fourth place. Kory Conner started in the eighth position and moved all the way up to the second position even after getting tangled up with Bobby Keller with just five laps to go. Nathen Jordan would pick up the third and final podium spot. His engine gave up on the last lap.

“The championship is looking really good,” said Clark. “I would have rather battled McLean (second in the points) on the track for points than a DNF, but it was a good race.”

The UMP Modified National points battle was on in the Swan Lake Resorts UMP Modified race with Jacob Poel entering the race second in the standings and Jamie Lomax in third. When the green flag flew, the second half of the field bunched up on start with Poel collected in the accordion-effect. Donald Vance’s car ended up on top of Poel’s car and Poel’s night was over. Thankfully, no one was injured.

Bobby Stremme took the early lead but Jamie Lomax, who started eighth, started passing cars early in the feature. By lap six, Lomax was on the rear bumper of leader Stremme, who started on the outside pole. Stremme and Lomax were side by side for two laps before Lomax took over the lead on lap eight. Zeke McKenzie had a strong car and was picking off spots until he was battling Stremme for the second position on lap 13. In the end Swan Lake UMP Modified points leader Lomax would take the win, McKenzie would finish second and Stremme came in third for a hard-fought battle.

“I wish Poel had been able to continue in the race so we could have run together,” said Lomax. “The car was great!”

The Dickies Restaurant 600 Sprints race was no problem for points leader Billy Cribbs. He started on the pole and ended with the checkered flag at the end of the 20-lap feature. Eric Saunders kept the second position until the last lap when Brent Busz was able to sneak past him coming out of turn two. Busz had attempted to get by Saunders for a few laps prior to the white flag but couldn’t make it work. Busz would get second and Saunders would end up third.

“It was a great race,” smiled Cribbs. “I hoped all season that we could keep the points lead and it looks like we’re going to keep it.”

John Rhoads had a bobble at the start of the Thunder Stock feature but came roaring back to get the win. Rhoads slipped from first to third on the first lap but powered back to the front by the fourth lap. Jerome Vair had been leading and started slipping back after a caution for a spinning Kevin Kerlin. Vair would later hit the wall and finished in the last spot. Points leader Bryce Shidler started sixth and moved his way through the field. Points leader Shidler worked on Rhoads, who is second in the points, in the closing laps but didn’t have enough time. Shidler would have to settle for second place. Keith Crissinger found another podium finish after crossing the finish line in the third spot.

“I got the pole and thought that was a good start, but then I saw Shidler coming after a few laps. I felt him give me a bump and had to run as hard as I could for the win. I got it,” said Rhoads.

The next race at Plymouth Speedway will feature the UMP Outlaw Super Late Models and it’s the only time they’ll be at the Playground of Power this season. The Swan Lake Resorts UMP Modifieds will also run on Aug. 9 plus the Thunder Stock Division. Don’t miss the Bob Newton Hoosier Tire Classic on Aug. 16 when NASCAR driver Tony Stewart will race his Winged Sprint.

Buy your ticket early by going to www.plymouthspeedway.net.

Archived