Rules clarification - Cams

After much discussion and several phone calls and discussion with several different individuals familiar with the original Allison Legacy rules (including one of the Allison brothers), we have settled on a cam that we believe will put everyone back on even footing.

From this date forward, the only cam permitted in the Lone Star Legacy series is the stock cam that is described in the Chilton manual for the 1987-1993 Mazda B2200 truck motor. This cam is readily available, inexpensive and is the cam that the Allison engines came with according to Mr. Allison.

James Huff has a tool that easily detects cams that do not meet the cam specs, so if you have any question as to the legality of any cam you may have on hand, feel free to have James measure it. No need to remove anything but the front cover and the valve cover in order to get inspected. Or, you can hand the cam to James and he has a cracked head that he uses as a test bed.

Also, the cam pulley must be aligned with the TDC of Number one piston so that the “1” or “A” is at the top of the pulley. This was also discussed at length with Mr. Allison and is the way all their engines were sent. At one point, in fact, the cam pulley was sealed, but some of the seals became dislodged and got under the belt and caused problems.

We sincerely hope this clears up any confusion about which cam is legal in the Lone Star Legacy Series.

If we are not affiliated with allison why do they keep getting brought up? Obviously the "Allison" series didn't last.

Did no one catch on that there are several factory mazda cams from 1987-93. If you want to pick just one then there needs to be specific numbers on that Cam, not "stock". Since stock would imply any of the cams produce in that time frame.

If the series is using the chilton manual as a reference point then wouldnt it be logical to show that book at the time of tech? Unless I am mistaken I personally have not seen any chilton manual at the race track that you are using to get all of your data.

I believe there are too many rule books for one series. It's "Allison rule book" "Chilton manual" or "the race directors car". How can one series use that many references? The series needs ONE rule book that goes into detail with specifications and dimensions. Not the term "stock". Cam for instance. Max lift is ..... Max duration is .... Lobe seperation must be.... That way you can actually measure and your either in tolerance or you are not.

Just my thoughts.

Driver #01

Archived