Free or Discounted Tickets

NickHolt

I'm gonna throw this out. I do agree the free tickets given to drivers DO often fall into hands of the unintended. I used to mark them and track them as they would come back. About 80% of the times the people that came in with them really should'nt have had them.

My solution was when a driver came up to me asking for tickets for his sponsor, I personally would get the sponsor information, go to his or her place of business and introduce myself as track management and tell them how much I appreciated the sponsorship on Joe's car and would like to invite ALL of the employees out for a night of racing. Ask how many employee's there were, double that amount (spouses of course) shake the sponsors hand and once again thank him for the support. I would always make sure to let the sponsor know that these guys & gals couldn't race without there support, and were a very important part of the racing community. And I feel is one of the most important things is to look for that sponsor on Sat. night, thank him for coming, throw in some extra announcement spots, because there is nothing worse than getting invited to a party and then no one talks to you.

There are also things like this that drivers can also do that have been mentioned in this post. The most important thing to remember is that everyone needs to work together and stop pointing fingers as to who is or isn't doing enough. If there is something that is being done that you don't agree with don't just complain about it ask yourself what can I do to fix it, team up and get it done.

Now back to work :)

I can attest to what Shawn is saying on a number of different fronts. I know of quite a fews times that I have been talking to friends at school about racing and some one from the Dallas area stated they didn't know that there were any local racetracks. Even if it wasn't a dirt track like they were use to or had attended, it was still racing. The same thing happens in San Marcos at Tx State. The problem That I encounter in San Marcos is that even though THR is right off I-35 most people still think that Thunder Hill Raceway is the go cart track. Even though no one knows it closed

THR is in a good spot. There are 50,000 students at UT, almost 20,000 at ACC and almost 30,00 at Tx State. Part of the concert at the SA Rampage hocket game was to encourage a college night. Marketing to ACC is a great idea because of the autoprograms and hell ACC's main competitor is Capital City Trade and Tech School and they sponsor the hobby class. The racing community would benifit well by have a highly discounted ticket night for college students. Let them have a discount on food that night too. A majority of college students don't have alot of cash but do spend it to have a good time.

Wild Racer,

Do you live in San Marcos as well? If so why dont we get together and maybe between the two of us we can knock this idea out of the park.

Call me 644-1303

As for Nick,

To add to what wildracer was saying. ACC is known to have one of the best automotive programs around. I am a upper classman in the automotive department. I only have 5 auto classes left so I am very well known within the automotive department and RIverside Campus. Let me know how I can help with the advertising.

sean

As for Nick,

To add to what wildracer was saying. ACC is known to have one of the best automotive programs around. I am a upper classman in the automotive department. I only have 5 auto classes left so I am very well known within the automotive department and RIverside Campus. Let me know how I can help with the advertising.

I am going to make sure that THR owner and promoter Brian Callaway and his new PR man, Jon Sagester, hear of your kind offer to help out with advertising. Please email or PM your contact information to me.

Nick Holt

not to bitch-but i drive by thr on I35 3 nites a week coming from work- i always look at the sign on the frontage road to the track-as you drive by you can read thunder hill on the sign, but you can't read Raceway-it doesnt show up-maybe a different color or something-might let people driving by know whats there-because before you can figure out what it says you have gone past it-

not to bitch-but i drive by thr on I35 3 nites a week coming from work- i always look at the sign on the frontage road to the track-as you drive by you can read thunder hill on the sign, but you can't read Raceway-it doesnt show up-maybe a different color or something-might let people driving by know whats there-because before you can figure out what it says you have gone past it-

I've noticed that too and have brought it to the owner's attention. Plans have been in the works for a new sign but it seems there's some governmental sign ordinance or somthing that has to be complied with. Not sure about the details.

I'd really like to see a big sign up on the grandstand hill facing IH-35 in both directions. Maybe lighted at night. Kinda like the HollyWood sign you see in LA. Big letters and each letter mounted on a pole. I bet the sign ordinance would really blow that idea away..

Nick Holt

yes nick-you got that right-having to deal with the city over signage can be a nightmare-would be neat if thr had a sign like we have at san antonio raceway on interstate 10-its huge- high in the sky and scrolling messages nonstop-(sure it wasnt cheap either)you can see it miles before you get to the track-one thing about it though-you can not miss it-

Archived