Harold Oatman

Ryan

Thanks so much Ryan, this really shows Harold's accomplishments. I'm in a couple of these photos, and my old car is in a few more. In the Texas 200 Victory Lane photo, I'm the guy between the flagman and Ricci Ware, with "Bobby" on the shirt, and in the photo from the same night with the crew riding in or on the car, I'm the one inside.

The Chevelle was my High School daily driver which I gave to Harold because he wanted to build one, and I wanted something else. The year was actually 1973, rather than what is stated in the pictures. It only ran for a few months before he switched back to the Camaro, which during that time had been driven by Robert Beardsley as the 05.

I was present during many of the events pictured. If you have any questions, let me know.

Happy to share. Harold died right before I turned 5 but those few years together definitely shaped me into loving racecars. He took care of me all day while my mom was at work so we spent a lot of time together. I remember driving around SAS in his old shitty truck when he went to meet someone there. I watched him build cars from scratch in the garage here at the house. One time we went to someones shop, can't recall, but they were setting a body on a chassis with a crane and someone thought it would be a good idea to let me do it and I almost took the roof off so I'm told. I'm involved with drifting and travel around Texas doing that. I build my own cars, cages, motors, ect, but every year this time, right before the season starts, I have to get out the photo albums and look through them. One of these days I'm going to have to get a car and get out there.

• 3 weeks later...

Bobby,

You may have to correct me on this, I seem to remember the 57 chevy from 1970 was red and yellow (Highway Department yellow, our cousin was working there at the time) The car looked like a giant hot dog with mustard on it. I guess that was his last red car, wonder where the orange paint came from?

Oatey

You are correct on the paint source for the 57 (for the red, too, as I remember). As far as the orange used on the later cars, I don't remember any stories, or anything out of the ordinary. I think it might have just been Chevy Hugger Orange.

Speaking of the 57, did that become your Dad's car? It disappeared over the winter of 1970, before I started going out to Harold's new house, and I don't remember what became of it.

• 2 weeks later...

You are right the color for the 57 was hiway dept yellow and stop sign red, I know because I worked for the Texas Hiway Dept and helped build the car at my house and was crew chief on it, I have some pictures of it somewhere taken at my house in San Antonio that I will post when I find them.

Archived