Lets get this out and help those having issues.

There seems to be this illusion that we have went through a major rule change over this offseason. I am sure this is pretty redundent for the shootout drivers but for any visitors who don't know let me give you the basic run down.

Over the past 4 season we have raced at 5 tracks and of the 5 only two shared the same rule package. There were some advantages and disadvantages depending on track conditions. Regardless it still made for good close tight racing and everyone has pretty much accepted the advantages and disadvantages. Of the tracks nobody had an overwhelmingly great car count. Some tracks at times had good numbers and then average the next. Some tracks struggled a lot with pretty poor car counts. The bottom line for a shootout driver to run at a different track from time to time had to cut through alot of red tape due to the rule differences and it not being a sanctioned shootout event. This was tough to swallow for everyone because the tracks need cars and nobody wanted to turn a car away especially since the shootout has proven to be consistent. Last year the promoters realized this and started loosening up those restraints and it helped. Over the offseason we put together a package of rules allowing the tracks to come together with a unified set of rules. We tightened up the specs so when a new custom built car comes out they were not taking advantage of loop holes. I DO NOT CONSIDER THESE RULE CHANGES. There was two rule changes we did make from last years rules. The introduction of Vortex heads and the no mini clutch rule. This is a new 2014 rule change and to be honest it came about because of the South Texas Shootout in December to bring the most cars on a level playing field. This rule also impacted CBS because they were already allowing Vortex heads. So it was even better to allow them cars to play as well. The mini clutch is a rule we allowed last year but are not this year and that is a change. Of the 4 race tracks we support 3 have adopted the unified set of rules which in itself is a milestone that makes all the drivers and tracks very excited with alot more options from a promotion point of view. CBS opted to stay with there last years package with changes they felt were needed. Just so everyone know the changes made I think were good positive changes for the street stock direction. So what does this all mean? It means as a shootout competitor you have 4 tracks you are eligible for with little to no changes if built correctly. We introduced weight penalties as a method of not penalizing drivers but to help drivers who couldnt afford or didnt want to upgrade certain areas and still keep them competitive. So please understand we have a package that has everyone in mind for starters espicially the race tracks themselves. I will not get on here and state any change that was made was to save you money. You can bet your bottom dollar every time I have heard that statement over the 31 years of racing it costs me a bunch of money along with everyone else. This package should really be something we can build on from year to year with the tracks help so we are all going in the same direction. With all this said make sure you understand you rules 100% inside and out, ask questions. Do your homework, alot of creativity is out there for your car to become faster and handle better. You have options that you have never had before so study study study and then study more. Please allow to us to help you for anything you have questions on. Dont wait til we pull you over to the side at the track. That is not the place to find out you misunderstood the rules. If you interpret the rules wrong your still illegal and will be dqed. Feb. 15th banquet would be a great place for you to receive all current information and meet alot of folks.

I'm building a street stock car for someone and I have a question about the "Brakes" section of the rules. Proportioning valves are allowed as long as they are out of reach of the driver. Aftermarket pedals with dual master cylinders are also allowed. Does that mean the brake bias cable has to be out of reach of the driver also? If so, why don't the rules say so, and if not, why does the proportioning valve have to be out of reach?

• 1 month later...

There are plenty of adjustments that can be made at the track including adjusting the brakes if you do it during hotlaps and in the pits once the races have started. Your just not going to be able to do it while racing. That has nothing to do with the quality of the show. With the exception of disc brakes on the rear I use a stock master cylinder for my year/make/model along with stock rotors, calipers, no RF shut off valve and no proportioning valve. It doesn't effect the show I put on nor the handling of my car. Besides we are not taking it away and having it removed from the car. Your just not focusing on it while racing 23 other drivers. I guess if this is the only thing people have questions on then we must have a great rule package.

I am not that good at adjustments I guess. I can't remember racing on dry slick race track that I didn't adjust the brakes. Just making the point it is a cheap part. It does help the show when cars are not causing yellows because they missed the "magic" adjustment. Don't want to argue, we just have a difference in opinions.

just because you don't have it does not make it a good rule. most streetstocks have dual brake master cylinders with cockpit adjustment. jmo sorry to be negative. everything thing else looks good.
bobby jack

Stephan: Good point but no different then springs, shocks, gears all can be changed at the track but not during a race. The point I was making is even without those items a car can still be fast. Too many times drivers think they have to have certain parts to keep up and that simply not the case. I have always wondered how many drivers get themselves into more trouble trying to do this and that instead of focusing on driving.

No its like anything else, a topic of discussion. We are striving to help the half nots verses the haves. We have reeled back several rules this year to keep it a street stock class and not a super stock class. If given a choice between two rules we will always consider the lesser more conservative rule of the two or look for some type of equalizer worst case. Everyone has seen classes change names because they kept adding alittle here and alittle there. Over a couple years its no longer pure stock its now hobby. Then hobby turns into Street Stock, then its turns into Super Stock; Pretty soon you start getting into parts that are on all the limited late models and that was where this was heading. Its a balancing act between the rules and putting as much in the drivers ability as possible. No tongue in cheek but we had to put the brakes on before we lost half of our drivers who would not be able to keep up with the "small cheap changes" that just kept on coming every offseason.

Keep in mind please from year to year we have to keep up with issues and potential problems. Who knows maybe half way through this year we will add the ability to adjust brakes during a race on the list of things to consider for 2015. Just like what we did this year with the bodies/appearance rules and the weight allowances. One thing we are already keeping an eye on is cylinder head options. This year guys building engines were limited to very few cylinder head options verses a year or two ago when alot more manufactors were building open chambered heads. We will have to see what options we may be able to open up from a costs vs availability standpoint. I dont even want to think about car frames 3 or 4 years from now with the limiteds being built on a yearly basis.

Couple of questions. Does the carb require the choke horn to be in place? What does asphalt pull off entail on the tire rule? Bare with me, new to this game.

STEPHAN: Carbs do not require the horn to be in place. Asphalt pulloffs are any used asphalt racing tire may be used. You can use a 8 or 10 inch wheel depending on what engine package your using A or B. You may groove or sip them.

I agree with Bobby. If you're not gonna allow a simple adjuster next to the driver then don't allow dual master cylinders. Street "stock" shouldn't be allowed to run them anyway. For the guys with stock brake setup this was an affordable way to allow them to adjust brake bias. This just forces them to have to buy a dual master cylinder set up. Just making it complicated

STEPHAN: The guys with duel master cylinders cant adjust their brakes during a race just like the guys running proportioning valves. Doesnt matter what equipment you have non of them are adjustable while racing but both are fully adjustable off the track.

Archived