Dalton Zehr nabs 2013 ASA Championship

DALTON ZEHR NABS 2013 ASA MEMBER TRACK NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Daytona Beach, FL (October 9, 2013) – In his first full-season of running at Norway Speedway Dalton Zehr dominated the Late Models division winning nine of 11 races, took the early lead in the 2013 ASA Member Track National Championship standings and never gave it up en route to winning the 2013 ASA Member Track National Championship announced today.

At his best, Zehr’s season included a six race win streak and he recorded 10 top-three and nine top-five finishes. He paced the 2013 ASA Member Track National Championship throughout the eight weeks of standings and finished with a 4.3540 average.

Zehr was born in Middleton, Idaho, grew up in Port Orange, Florida and now splits his time between Port Orange and Menominee, Michigan. The 22-year-old rising star earned his first track championship at Norway after running a part-time schedule the previous seven seasons.

“This is a great thrill for me and our race team,” said Zehr. “We were unaware of our position within the national championship until the halfway point of the season but once we realized we had a shot we stepped up our efforts and kept our noses to the ground and battled our way to the track title and the national championship.

“I really want to thank my team owner Joe Nechodom of Racetech Chassis for giving me the opportunity to run all season-long at Norway Speedway and also Gene Adcock who brought Joe and me together last off-season. I also owe a special thanks to Gene Coleman for his years of mentoring; I don’t think I would be a champion without Gene’s guidance.”

It is also the first National Championship for Norway Speedway, a slightly banked one-third mile asphalt oval located at the Dickinson County Fairgrounds in Norway, Michigan. The track, originally built as a dirt track in 1942, was blacktopped in 1979. Racing is held on Friday evenings from mid-May through Labor Day weekend when the champions are crowned during the fair.

“This is great recognition for Dalton and all of us at Norway Speedway,” said Caleb Fulcher, the treasurer for the Dickinson County Racing Association. “As a club run venue we are very proud of the great car counts and strong competition we offer race fans each week. It feels good to share this great news with all of our board members.

“It is a pleasure to be a part of the ASA racing family and our association with ASA has made a difference for us as a weekly racing facility.”

The final 2013 ASA Member Track National Championship standings include the only four track champions who recorded an average of 2.90 or better:

Dalton Zehr, Norway Speedway – 4.3540

Ryan Stiltner, Lonesome Pine Raceway - 3.7791

Shelby Stroebel, Meridian Speedway – 2.9564

Mark Mackesy, State Park Speedway – 2.9486

“It is always an exciting day when we get to call the ASA Member Track National Champion and this year’s champion, Dalton Zehr, is well-deserved,” said Dennis Huth, ASA president. “I’ve gotten to know Dalton and his family and I know the efforts they have put into racing and supporting the ASA program so I want to congratulate not only Dalton but the entire Zehr family.

“I also want to salute Caleb Fulcher and the entire team at Norway Speedway who can now proudly wave an ASA Member Track National Championship banner for being the home of this year’s champion.”

Though he led the ASA Member Track National Championship from its 2013 debut on August 9, he faced a tough battle from Ryan Stiltner (Lonesome Pine Raceway), Shelby Stroebel (Meridian Speedway) and Mark Mackesy down the stretch.

With Zehr, Stiltner was the only driver to be in the ASA Member Track National Championship standings each week in 2013 and finished with a 3.7791 average. The four year veteran at Lonesome Pine Raceway ran 16 times with seven wins, 12 top-three’s and 15 top five’s in the Late Models at the 3/8-mile asphalt oval in Coeburn, VA.

Stroebel, who joined the standings in week three (August 23), visited Victory Lane 10 times in 13 races with 11 top-three finishes running the Modifieds division at the 1/4-mile asphalt oval in downtown Meridian, ID. The 2012 ASA Member Track National Champion has won 27 of 30 features, including all 14 in 2012, dating back to late in the 2011 season. His 2013 ASA Member Track National Championship average was 2.9564.

Mackesy was one of three – Jeremy Lepak and Ryan Hinner were the others -- State Park Speedway drivers to hold a position in the standings at various times in 2013.He ran 10 times, earned two wins, finished second three times and recorded six top-five finishes at the 1/4-mile asphalt oval just outside Wausau, WI in the Super Late Models division and earned a 2.9486 average.

While racing with his family in Florida where they moved when he was 11 years old, Zehr's skills, talent and demeanor caught the eye of Gene Coleman of Coleman Racing Products. Through the years it developed to a point where Zehr began driving Coleman's personal race cars and they ran numerous events at what Coleman considers his home track, Norway Speedway. During the 2012 off-season Zehr was approached by Joe Nechodom of Racetech Chassis to pilot their house car and compete for the 2013 championship.

Although his 2014 plans have not been finalized, Zehr confirmed he will be back at Norway Speedway for select events and he will be running the entire TUNDRA Super Late Model touring series after finishing runner-up in the points the past two seasons.

Speednetdirect.com, for the sixth year in a row, tabulated the National Championship standings. Using a proprietary formula that creates an average based on wins, finishing positions, number of cars passed, car counts and events. The driver who wins their track championship and has the highest average over the other ASA Member Track champions won the 2012 ASA Member Track National Championship.

Full standings are available at www.speednetdirect.com. Click on the ASA Member Track logo at the top of the page.

To learn more about the ASA Member Tracks and Sanctioned Series in your area, please visit www.asa-racing.com. Follow ASA Racing on Facebook at www.facebook.com/american.speed.assoc and on Twitter at @ASARacing.

You can also look for the nearest ASA Member Track, get the weekend schedule, ASA Series information right on your smartphone by downloading the ASA Racing App for the iPhone and Android phones for free. Just search for ASA Racing on iTunes and the Android Market and get the app today for FREE!

The American Speed Association started as a single racing series in 1968 and is a fast growing racing sanctioning body today. The ASA Member Track program sanctions dirt and asphalt short tracks along with road courses around the United States, as well as a variety of regional and national touring series. For more information call 386/258-2221, or send an email to info@asa-racing.com. The latest news and information from all the racetracks and tours involved in the ASA can be found by visiting www.ASA-Racing.com.

Archived