Veteran Texas Pro Sedan Driver returns to San Antonio Speedway

debwill

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Debbie Williams, debbie@sa-speedway.com, 210-685-0400 (cell)

Veteran Texas Pro Sedan Driver returns to San Antonio Speedway

Bruce Mabrito competing in Texas Stock Car Spectacular

SAN ANTONIO, TX (September 6, 2013) - The 38-year old Texas Pro Sedan Series (TPS) will make its only appearance this season at the Texas Stock Car Spectacular on Saturday at San Antonio Speedway, just south of the Alamo City and in clear view of the Team Texas Toyota truck plant.

The Texas Pro Sedans is a competitive, compact-sedan racing series that is one of the oldest in the United States. The Texas Pro Sedans raced many times at SAS prior to its closure in 2007, and this event marks the first TPS reappearance at the high-banked, asphalt oval since its reopening last October.

One of the TPS competitors in this weekend's race is Bruce Mabrito, who is the 71-year old driver of the #10 Toyota Corolla. Mabrito considers San Antonio Speedway his home track.

"This is a great opportunity for the Texas Pro Sedans to return to a circuit that has long been a TPS-regular stop for this touring series in past years," Mabrito said.

Mabrito has been a staff member for Southwest Research Institute for the past 31 years. He's also gone through the challenges of prostate cancer, and he seems to have it successfully under control after recently taking radiation therapy at CTRC. Mabrito was also a freelance motorsports writer for The San Antonio Light and the Express-News newspapers for 20 years.

Mabrito has notched a lot of laps in his diverse racing history. He has raced in the Daytona 24 Hours event twice and has run portions of the IMSA circuit in the 1970s. Mabrito also competed at the old Pan American Speedway in San Antonio prior to its closure many years ago. In addition, Mabrito's motorsports team raced an electric and hybrid electric car at Phoenix International Raceway in the early 1990s,

For the past ten years, Mabrito has found his racing niche with the Texas Pro Sedans. And he's ready to take on the challenges at SAS again.

"Although I separated my right shoulder against turn two out here at San Antonio Speedway in 1986, I still find this track fun to drive and at the same time a challenge," commented Mabrito. "I will be piloting the #10 Toyota, but we've had problems with the larger engine, so we're just running the 1600cc motor this weekend. Even so, this is a really fun-to-drive Toyota Corolla with rear-wheel drive and a solid gearbox that I love!"

Among the other competitors in this weekend's TPS race is four-time champion Sergio Hexsel. He holds the current points' lead, strongly ahead of J.J. Osburn. A total of 20 Texas Pro Sedans are expected to arrive at the half-mile oval track for their event, which is the second of eight features Saturday evening.

The grandstand gates will open at 3P on Saturday, and the races will start at 7P.

In addition to the Texas Pro Sedans, the agenda for Saturday night includes the Pro Late Models, Modifieds, Trucks, Street Stocks, Tator Plumbing Chargers, Jenn's Beer Wine & Spirits Grand Stocks and the Texas Asphalt Limited Modified Series (TALMS).

ABOUT SAN ANTONIO SPEEDWAY:

San Antonio Speedway is a 1/2-mile, high-banked asphalt oval track that's located at 14901 State Highway 16 South, San Antonio, TX 78264. Information on San Antonio Speedway may be found on the track website at www.sa-speedway.com or on its Facebook page at www.facebook.com/sanantonio.speedway.

Archived