T.A.M.S.

PAPA

There are pro's and cons, but I believe the biggest reason is that the guys that already have alcohol set-ups don't have to spend a lot of money to go race. They can use what they have.

I do know you have to carry abut twice the alcohol than gas, making it harder to distribute the weight as it burns off. It is interesting that there doesn't seem to be a distinctive advantage to either. #48 & #15 in tams are on alcohol, and #71 & 5 are on gas. All are super competitive where ever they go.

Guest RandyBorlace

alcohol is cheap horsepower . it may burn almost twice as fast, but it runs cleaner, keeps the engine cooler and in my opinion is a better racing fuel.

Alcohol will only put out about half the BTU of what gasoline will. That is the reason for having to run huge jets in the carb and depending on what type of engine an external fuel pump to handle the volume of fuel it takes to produce the BTU'S which also makes weight distrubtion a problem in circle track cars if it;s a long race. On short sprint races alcohol is a great fuel it's safer it lets your engine run a lot cooler and what I've seen on the dyno it makes a little more power but the big advantage is that it makes alot more torque. Because of the volume of fuel you put in with alcohol your engine has to be able to fire right off to keep from washing your clyinders down and putting excessive amounts of fuel in your crankcase by your rings . I recommend changing your oil every two races when you run alcohol if everything is working right. Hope this helps

Archived