Poncho Locklin - Mid 70's - More Pics Please!

acsdata

Just stumbled across this site the other day and some of the pictures that I've seen posted are just awesome. Seeing some of the pics posted of Poncho's cars were just super cool. My dad actually drove for Poncho. I was only about 4 at the time, but I vividly remember hanging out at his salvage yard, up front in the office in the mid 70's. Poncho, Mike and all those guys were like family to us. I remember the cars in the shop area, and I remember sitting in the one my dad drove. It was a winged super modified with a big block. Anyway, in September of '76 my dad wrecked the number 9x car up in Kalamazoo MI. It was a huge impact, because it bent the chassis of the car into a slight U shape. He still had the helmet showing a huge amount of spider webbing from the impact. It nearly killed him. He died twice on the way to the hospital...still has vivid memories of that event...then he was in a coma for 2 weeks. They told him he'd never function normally again, no walking, probably wouldn't be able to talk, but against all odds he ended up finishing college and becoming a doctor.

Anyway, we ended up getting into drag racing when I was old enough to drive. I'm 39 now, but I still remember Poncho's shop and the man himself very vividly. Would love to see if there are any more pictures out there, especially if you have one of the number 9 or 9x either of those would be awesome.

Greg

Archived