RTA

Hotrodracer

After a quick reading this morning, I have 2 constructive comments.

1. In your decision making on the tires, consider the following: These are supposed to be affordable asphalt race cars. Most of the time those adjectives are in conflict with each other. If you want the cars to handle reasonably well without sliding all over the track, go with the Hoosier F53 slick. If cost is the primary concern go with an off-the-shelf street tire that can be bought at any tire store. If you want to attract the SIMS cars, go with their Hoosier DOT tire. My advise would be to go with the F53. It's a good tire and teams wanting to save money can by pull-offs from the TSRS and TAMS teams (or have a 2 tire per race rule).

2. Why would you not allow pressurized shocks? Just require stock mounting over-the-counter shocks like the SIMS rules. That way teams can buy the Auto Zone gas shocks made by Bilstien (they are valved for front and rear only - no options) or they can go with any combination of pressurized or unpressurized shocks. The cost is the same---the performance is not!

Thanks for your comments but what I am trying to do is make this class a really affordable class. I think you will agree that the IMCA tire is a good tire for asphalt. We are trying to come up with a tire specifically for a 2500 pound race car that will give us the wear of the IMCA tire yet be dependable lap after lap. As far as cost, we are shooting for a price range of around $75.

On the shocks, you have a point but again, I am trying to keep it affordable for the average person. So, any stock type shock, but your

Bilstein's and Afco racing shocks are legal. The rules just say no revalvable or rebuildable shocks allowed. Hope this clears up any misconceptions you might have. Thanks for your input.

Johnny Smith

I agree let the Fords and Dodges run also or else it just becomes another spec type class,it needs some variety. I agree with the American racer tire because it could run on both dirt and asphalt surfaces and last,except for IMCA getting the money from each tire.Might consider a swept back header and turndown design,maybe just go to a header like they run at Cowtown since most tracks are having to deal with the noise issue anyway.

I think you will agree that the IMCA tire is a good tire for asphalt. We are trying to come up with a tire specifically for a 2500 pound race car that will give us the wear of the IMCA tire yet be dependable lap after lap. As far as cost, we are shooting for a price range of around $75.

Bilstein's and Afco racing shocks are legal. The rules just say no revalvable or rebuildable shocks allowed.

I would not agreeThe IMCA American Racer is a terrible tire on asphalt. Of the 3 tires TAMS allows, it is by far the worst. The compound is too hard, the sidewall is too stiff, and the tread makes it like driving on grease on asphalt. In experiments with them on TAMS cars, the ONLY way they came close to working was to shave the tread off and soak them to a durometer reading of about 40 (a new one durometers about 80), but the sidewall was still too stiff for the tire to "plant" in the turns. And, by the way, where are you going to buy IMCA American Racers for $75.

As for shocks, the rules say "no air shocks". To me an air shock is a pressurized shock (monotube to those that know what I'm talking about) and that's what a Bilstien is.

I've read more, and I've got some additional comments---What's with the 6" ride height and 11" crank height? If I were building one of these cars, the oil pan would be below the cross member (not safe) to attain the lowest CG. Since you can relocate the upper A arm mountings to adjust caster and camber, these cars could have a much lower ride height at no additional cost to build--but now that I think about it, with IMCA tires, it won't make any difference anyway.

Archived