proper gear ratio for CBS

Stick

Question... Trying to determine if I have th proper gear ratio in my car for CBS. The car I have came from Texarkana, so I'm curious if it is set up correctley. After having a blast running Saturday night (I want to go faster). I called the previous owner and found that the car was set up for a 1/4 mile track. So I'm wondering if I need to change something.

Pure Stock

Powerglide transmission with 3.73 gears in the rearend

Thanks

I am planning on running a powerglide with a 3.42 rear gear in my limited modified. I still think that is a little high. I think a pure stock with a powerglide should run a 3.23 rear gear because of the motor differences.

Have you ever ran a pure stock before? Just curious...the lighter the car...the less gear you need (numericly). a pure stock will pretty much never run less gear than a limited...and ...what motor differences...limiteds are just pure stocks with the motor moved back...lol (ok i do know they are allowed more cam now...but...not much else different)

The gear ratio I told him is conservative for a pure stock. They have alot of car...(weight) so...going up to a 6.50 would not be out of the question in my mind....if he had a really good motor. But..since he does not even know the gear ratio PG he has, I would prefer to tell someone to run to few rpms... and if he has a 1.82 that would put him at 6.78 (with his current ratio) That is too high any way i see it... but...I could be wrong...has happened before.

My PG has 1.76 . Then that would put me at 6.56 (if my math is correct). It just felt like on the straights I was going nowhere, felt good in and coming out of the corners. New gear set is ordered Will install it before Saturday. Always loved watching racing but did not know it was going to be this addictive!!!

Archived