ministocks

thumper

I just got word that the open invitation to other tracks ministocks will apply to 2013.That means any mini,frontrunner,eco/stocks,thunder car,hornet or twister is welcome to race with the Soprt Compacts at South Texas Speedway in Corpus.Any series can use their home track rules or upgrade to a Sport Compact legal car.Any driver is also welcome regardless of their experience level.Just bring your car and a copy of the rules you regulary use or used and join the fun at a track with full grandstands and a pit full of cars.You will be performing in front of hundreds of fans that really love racing at all levels.

The first race is the end of March so theres time to build or borrow a car.Any retired racers who is not currently active because of finances can benifit from this class plus the class can benifit from the experience many possess.This is still a flegling class and the choice for doner cars has never been better.Some really talanted mechanics could race a fast car without the expense of an aftermarket racer and showcase talent on a budget.The factory is building some fast hi powered cars now that only need a little tuning on suspension for oval track use.

I started racing minnies 42 years ago when there was very little to choose from for a doner car.Todays car has multivalve twin cam engine with great flowing heads,higher compression,strong bottom ends,variable cam timing and built in rev limiters.The factory power is as good or better than most of the hot rods we used to spend a lot of money for.The cars have really advanced suspension with coil over shocks,fully independent suspensipon strong anti-sway bars,liteweight bodies and sleek design.They also reflect the cars most people drive today so the fans can really relate.The biggest difference now is you might spend a little more to buy a better car but the cost to make it race ready is greatly reduced.Overall its cheaper than the old days.It does take a little more knowlege but what racer doenst?What makes the SC cars ar STS different is they are looking to have very fast production cars and allow some suspension tuning and weight reduction over many frontrunner classes.They are not mini bombers,they are factory racers.STS is a drivers track as well so this is a serious challange for anyone who thinks they can handle it.Its also a greatplace for new drivers as these car are very manuverable so experienced drivers can give room to a learning talent.

In closing,this is way to great a deal to pass up.If your funding is adaquate,race a big car.If your budget is like mine,join us.Just dont sit at home.Anybody can afford to race a SC car at STS.One day the super car will be an all wheel drive supercharged or turbo screamer like the British Touring Cars or World Rally cars.Thanks for reading.

BJ34,the Sport Compact and pure stock rules are the same as Rio Grande Speedway and are posted on their homepage.Now cars can run at both tracks without a rebuild.Finally 2 tracks with common rules.Thats the key to IMCAs success,they gave hundreds of tracks common rules to go by.2013 is looking good. :P

BJ34,the Sport Compact and pure stock rules are the same as Rio Grande Speedway and are posted on their homepage.Now cars can run at both tracks without a rebuild.Finally 2 tracks with common rules.Thats the key to IMCAs success,they gave hundreds of tracks common rules to go by.2013 is looking good. :P

u got a car for me yet g.b.ha ha

It was intresting last nite to hear NASCAR speak of how important it is to get the race cars to look more like the street cars.The Sport Compacts are exactly that.NASCAR went to fuel injection,most sport compacts will be also.All the SC cars need now is some experienced V8 racers to join in and share their knowlege with us and set the pace we need to persue.Experienced car builders can prep a sc car during their lunch breaks,so even sponsoring one can be a great help.How bout looking at us and at least giving some advise on this thread.

It would be intresting to see a poll about what car would you choose,why and how would you set it up?

I will start with the little I learned about FWD.The basic set up is,sway bar on rear,biggest available,small or none on front.Cut spring on LF to ride hight with biggest spring available for that model.I use a micrometer to measure the spring diameter.Tall and softer spring on RF,biggest spring available on RR,cut LR to just hold up car.On tires,biggest that fits on RR,LF larger than RF,smallest diameter on LR.Anotherwords,jack the most weight in the LF as possible.I dont like locked diffs,Stagger is too hard to get right.As far as a start up car,I would use whatever I could find that still runs good and not much rust.I would look for a car with good power and strong suspension pieces.Its also important to use a car thats popular so parts can be found cheaply.Im still looking for a Nissan Altima because this model has all that.I want to hit the city impound auction to go shopping.Bet theres lots of good choices there.At no point would I remove anything that makes the car run.Keep the wiring intact.Only remove wiring verified to not be needed like lites,AC,radio etc.I would keep part of dash that holds componets or fabricate one.To start I would use the simple roll bar and door plate until I could put a full cage.Whats great is I could get this car on the track pretty easy and keep improveing it all year.I just have to learn the car.

I forgot to mention the SC cars also uses small trucks.For an inexperienced driver this can be a great choice,Because of the full frame thay can take a licking and keep ticking.A short wheel base is desirable for rear percentages.A locked diff is necessary for foreward bite,in fact all RWD needs locked diff.The set ups for RWD are widely known.On trucks,weight is the negative so keep weight in mind.The driver cage needs to be good tubilg but front and rear loops can be lighter tubing.Avoid heavy bumbers,weight needs to be kept between the axles.Ranger,S-10,Nissan,Toyota,Mitsubushi,early Dacota,Mazda or other 4 cyl trucks are a good choice for a safe beginners car.And they look cool.

• 2 years later...

Archived